Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Our Big Girl is Gone But not Forgotten....

So sad But Yet So Happy

• Members

So Sad But yet so happy.  If you would like a puppy I would say get one and better still if you get a rescue one, as I'm sure there are puppies out there with no one to love them.  I am 66 and have just taken on a 15/16 month approx. Romanian rescue.  She is still young and she is a puppy in nature as she came to me knowing nothing..... back to basics and puppy classes.  We are moving forward.  Dogs  keep you young so they say.  They make you get up in the morning, you have a purpose (as you already know).  Puppies are hard work but you have loads of years ahead.  I have never thought to myself I am too old for this dog in any way.  In my heart  I know I would prefer to have my Kelly back with me, but that is not to be, but I have Foxy and I will try to give her a good life. Lots of love. Janis 

• Moderators

I was 56 when I got my Arlie, I've had him almost ten years now.  No way is that too old to get a pup!  Arlie was not an easy dog, he had medical issues, I have to cook for him, he has anxiety, and he chewed up everything that first year, all my furniture, the trim on the house, anything he could get his teeth on.  He has more toys than any dog I've ever seen, and most have the stuffing out of them.  But I've also never had a dog more rewarding or perfect for me!  He's goofy, fun, and it's wonderful coming home to my big boy!

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy
6 hours ago, KayC said:

I was 56 when I got my Arlie, I've had him almost ten years now.  No way is that too old to get a pup!  Arlie was not an easy dog, he had medical issues, I have to cook for him, he has anxiety, and he chewed up everything that first year, all my furniture, the trim on the house, anything he could get his teeth on.  He has more toys than any dog I've ever seen, and most have the stuffing out of them.  But I've also never had a dog more rewarding or perfect for me!  He's goofy, fun, and it's wonderful coming home to my big boy!

KAYC  were did you get Arlie from if i may ask? We have 2 humane society around here but unfortunately most have pretty mean pits, rots, and pit mixes. I thought they needed to know if these dogs interact well with people, animals and kids. But when we took shadow for the meet and greet we had to go through the kennel and these dogs wanted to tear him apart. They unfortunately have alot of dog fights down here and most of these dogs imo are not adoptable at all. And then we have your craigslist people who want 500 to " rehome" there dogs. I use to remember when dogs were fairly easy to get, but even though these dogs i dont think will be adaptable the end for these poor dogs isnt pleasant.

• Moderators

I got him from our local humane society through the country.  You're right, there were mostly pit mixes, I was drawn to one named Usher, but it was Arlie I came for and he did his best to say, "No, pick ME!"  :D  Keep looking, there are new rescues every day.  Arlie was starving when I got him, they figured he'd been on the lam for a couple of weeks, his weight was very down...hence his gulping/eating like there's no tomorrow!

A friend of mine lost two dogs to bloat.  https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/gastric-volvulus-bloat-dogs#1  

She has a bulldog remaining and I bought her this bowl and told her to feed him twice a day (or more often) instead of once. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3O4JI6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They come in three different size bowls, you want one with more than enough room to pour the food into so if you feed your dog 1 cup at a time, get the one with two cups (small) or if two cups at a time, get the one with four ups (large).  It could save their life!

A tip on the Craigslist ads...many list their dog for $500 to cut out the ones that want to make money on them or use them for ill purposes.  My son told me this trick.  Once someone shows up to see their dog, they watch the interaction and most often will waive the "fee", they just want to cut out some of the wayward people from coming.  Go anyway, it can't hurt and you never know, you might come home with a dog!

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy
9 hours ago, Dee rite said:

How are you and your wife doing this week Jim.

I hope you are doing okay.

Dee

Hi Dee :)        Today has been cold down here so been hibernating when we can. We both are doing well. We've had Dr appts that we rescheduled and went to, blood work, and work of course. Getting abit easier to deal with because we put alot on hold for awhile and with Christmas comming up, cleaning the house we've been busy now which im glad about. How have you been doing Dee? That was very nice of asking about us. How about you???

• Members

Jim,

Glad to hear that things are a bit easier for you both.  

Today is so so but I am forced to put on a brace face since work is so busy even though when I feel moments of sadness.  My daughter is home for a visit which gives me sunshine when I get home 

thank you and sending you well wishes 

Dee

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

PLEASE everyone just kinda ignore what im about to write but i woke up this morning and felt like crap. Way deep down inside of me i still wonder IF i did the right thing putting her to sleep. I know she was ill, BUT i thought i was doing good until today. Then everything completely fell apart. We put up xmas decorations and their was that dam stocking with savannahs name on it. It use to be full of treats and toys every year, this year an empty stocking hanging there. Im just really angry right now as it makes me wonder if i could have done more. I know the answer but i still have to ask the question. This is just a rant on my thread but i had to get it off my chest. I thought i was doing really well handling things till i saw that dam christmas stocking....

• Moderators

IT IS COMMON TO FEEL GUILT IN OUR GRIEF.  It is normal.  But it doesn't feel good, and it does NOT mean it's deserved or earned, it is merely a feeling to be gotten through.

Please read:

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2014/04/pet-loss-guilt-in-wake-of-euthanasia.html

Perhaps you'll want to do what we did when my husband died, that first Christmas without him.  We put up a tree in spite of the mourning and sorrow and lack of festivity in our hearts, because he loved Christmas and every holiday and season!  I hung his stocking as I have every year since, and we all wrote something to him and put it in his stocking.  Perhaps you could try doing that with her stocking.  It helped, and who knows but maybe some eternal presence gives them the gift from our hearts.

• Members

Deates jim

I  so sorry that you are on this emotional ride and understand that guiltily feeling.  I had it to with Cheddar 17 years ago and to this day I still replay in my mind did I do the right thing.  Macey made her own decision so we did not have to

I decided not to decorate this year and my family is upset that I am not but I can't and it is all I can do to go to work 

Do what you can and take each day moment by moment.

B kind to yourself because you provided Savannah much love and  still do by remembering her. Heartache isn't easy.

i am sending you an extra big hug today 

Dee

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy
21 hours ago, KayC said:

A friend just posted this on another site, I thought it might be helpful here:

https://www.refugeingrief.com/2018/12/11/dealing-with-grief-during-the-holidays/

Thank you. It was and i appreciate it. When i took her Xmas sock out of the box of Christmas stuff that just did it for me at that moment. I completely forgot about it being in there. Doing better now and hope if i find any more surprises hopefully i'll be able to handle them better instead of becomming a blubbering idiot of tears. But Thanks KayC, appreciated that alot.

Jim

• Moderators

That first year about killed me.  Now I look endearingly at George's stocking and ornaments and put them up in his honor.  I talk to him while I'm doing it and tell him how much I miss him and remember the good memories...

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy
1 hour ago, KayC said:

That first year about killed me.  Now I look endearingly at George's stocking and ornaments and put them up in his honor.  I talk to him while I'm doing it and tell him how much I miss him and remember the good memories...

Our 2 daughters bought a blanket for us. My Savannah is on it. I took the blanket out and cried my eyes out but its a beautiful blanket. It has a picture of her with us on the front porch sitting with me and my wife. We had a knick name for her,,,WooWoo. She had written above and below her picture Always loved and never forgotten. Its one of the most Beautiful, Loving, gift i ever received . One day i'll be able to put that out and use it. For now though it sits covered in plastic. One day it wont be. Just not today though.

• Members

It takes time. And the holidays which have so much pressure for everyone to be happy and joyous - which is great - but I feel like the "perfection" of how Christmas is supposed to be can be stressful.

• Moderators

Yes, I just heard on the news that suicide is up 40% at Christmas, that's terrible!  I think a lot of it has to do with the hype and build up leading to high expectations and if everything isn't great in your life, it's felt all the more keenly.

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy
On 12/18/2018 at 9:58 AM, KayC said:

Yes, I just heard on the news that suicide is up 40% at Christmas, that's terrible!  I think a lot of it has to do with the hype and build up leading to high expectations and if everything isn't great in your life, it's felt all the more keenly.

My wife and i do home healthcare. They both live in a large community building but have their own little apartments. Everyday since about the 1st of dec we have gone out of our way to talk to other people that we dont know . The bldg has about 150 residents. Many of the people say that us speaking to them cheered em right up. People here are forgotten. And yes we are trying to spread xmas cheer so folks dont get depressed. Bring candy canes , cookies, etc. Trying to keep spirits up around the holidays of the people we take care of.

• Moderators

That's wonderful, and one of the reasons I volunteer at the senior site, it's open twice a week here.  Yesterday when it let out, I realized we won't be together again until after Christmas, and it kind of hit me.  I hope none of them are alone on Christmas, I've been there, I hate that.  They're predicting snow and I pray it doesn't stick, I want to be with my kids and grandkids.

So many hurting this time of year and it seems it's just all the more keenly felt.  If anyone is feeling suicidal, I pray they hold off, get through Christmas, give it time to change.  And call a Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255.

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

Christmas has come and gone and i thought it would be pretty hard on me. Turns out my wife was the one who broke down pretty hard. We had family over and we cooked all day saturday, and cleaned all day sunday. It was good theraphy for the both of us. We have been actively looking for a pup but i think i live in the middle ages. We bought Savannah 12 years ago at the Humane society for 75.00. Shadow, our little guy we paid 50.00 for him 6 years ago. The humane societys around my area want 200 for adaption and most dogs in my area are pits, pit mixes, akitas, or rots, full grown. Theres nothing wrong with that. Then i looked in shelters, places that get the dogs before they're put to sleep. They charge 460.00 in my area.

Call me stupid, but IF a dog is going to be put to sleep woudnt one assume that the price would be dropped. These are generally full grown dogs that need training. Then at the shelters they do have pups. Some get them from the Amish community in ohio here, others supposedly get them from puppy mills but the adaption is close to 500.00. I get it, There's vet costs, food, shelter, phone, gas, and any other needs the dog may need. But it seems highly inflated with the prices they are asking. Then on tv they run the ASPCA commercials with dogs, cats etc. I just dont understand if these dogs are to be put down, or have med problems why they wouldnt adapt these dogs at a more reasonable price. I guess i just live in the past.

Jim

• Members

Hi Jim,

I don’t understand that either and feel they should not be that high.

Christmas is very tough and I know how you feel.  I did not take part in in any festivities at all and stayed home with just my husband and 2 fur babies.  After Macey I just felt depressed and couldn’t bring myself to go to anything.  I will go see my daughter on Saturday.

stay strong and sending you a big hug.

Dee

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

Dee,

Thats good that your getting out Saturday to see your daughter. Get you out of the house for a bit and enjoy your girl. I know Christmas was pretty tough but we made it through , although we have battle scars as well. Try to enjoy yourself with your daughter and Hubby. Here's hoping you have a GREAT sat Dee.

Jim

• Moderators

I think the humane societies near here charge close to $200 too and are mostly pit mixes.  I've known some wonderful pits and know some of them are gentle, all in how they're raised, but they don't allow them at some dog parks or rentals and airlines, so that makes it harder to own them, and of course when they're an adult and up for adoption you don't know how they've been raised.  Akitas are good dogs, albeit big.  I have a Husky/Golden Retriever, got up to 140 lbs but I put him on a diet (I cook for him) and he is holding steady at his goal weight of 110 the last three years.

The Humane Society here just ran a special, some hard to place dogs due to age or disability they waived the fees on the last two weeks of December, you might ask if they ever have those specials.  Yes they charge us for spaying, neutering, chipping, etc.  They do get donations for food and shelter and some of it comes from tax money.

I wish you luck finding just the right one for your household!  Keep looking, it'll happen.

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

I'm not sure exactly what or how to write this without sounding like an idiot but Savannah has been gone for over 2 months now. We have another dog, Shadow. Savannah and he were best of friends. Literally. But now since its been a while since she's passed he has picked up many of her ways that he never did before. He always had certain toys he would play with and thats it. Food he would only eat. Different ways that was "his ways" of doing things. But over the last month or so, he's actually changed and starting doing things the way she use to. I'm not trying to look for comparisons between the 2 dogs, as each are seperate i know but i just wondered if anyone who had multiple pets ever had anything like this happen to them. To me its quite unique and frankly scared me a little. Dont mean to rant but just wondered if this has happened to anyone else before because its a first ever for us.

• Moderators

No, I haven't seen that happen but it's not surprising to me either.  They grieve too and it doesn't shock me that he would emulate her.  I would not be worried about it, he's working through his grief and remembering her in his way.  Have you considered getting another so he wouldn't be alone?

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy
1 hour ago, KayC said:

No, I haven't seen that happen but it's not surprising to me either.  They grieve too and it doesn't shock me that he would emulate her.  I would not be worried about it, he's working through his grief and remembering her in his way.  Have you considered getting another so he wouldn't be alone?

Yes we absolutely have the only "issue" if you will is that were trying to get a puppy. Reason why is he is very protective of the house and us. He's about 40-45 pounds. As  i discussed before the humane society aound this area is pits, pit mixes, rots, mastiffs. And there older. We have to be careful about bringing in a dog like that. We won't. So were looking for a pup. Collie-shepherd would be ideal, but were keeping an open mind. So, Yes we are. Just no luck so far.

• Moderators

I think I remember you writing about that before.  I hope you find just the right dog for your family!

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy
On 1/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, KayC said:

I think I remember you writing about that before.  I hope you find just the right dog for your family!

Well KayC wev'e been looking for our puppy for over 2 months now. We live in Ohio and 1 unfortunate thing i found out is there's a bunch of " puppy mills ' in this state. We thought about going to Amish country and looking for a pup but later found out many of these puppies mills are actually run by the Amish, at least in ohio. The pounds still come up with dogs that wouldn't be a good fit for our family. So i guess now im just gonna work with our little boy and not worry or concern ourselves with a puppy. After awhile it becomes very frustrating at this point. So for now, and probably quite some time were gonna call it a day and be Happy ( which we are) with the lil boy we have.

Jim

On 1/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, KayC said:

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

Still looking for that evasive puppy but maybe one day,,,,,,,,,Who knows.

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

Today was the day. Wasnt expecting this at all. Got on the internet and starting looking around. My daughter woke up and said I had a dream. I dreampt i was in a garden of flowers and the flowers were wiggling and moving around. I didnt know what they were moving about so i went and looked. It was a Little black-White puppy. And it was in a field of lilies. I said Oh, in surprise. I started lookinh on Craigslist and found a listing for English Shepherds. I texted, one thing lead to another and the next thing you know " Lily" came home with us. The lady that breed her was a game warden. Needless to say Id like everyone to meet Lily. She's 2 moths old, and loving as all get go. I post this NOT to boost, but to tell those who has lost a family member so close they can never be replaced but there's always another one to be loved. Lily, and her new Big Brother. This is Lily Ann at 1 day, 1 week, 4 weeks and 8 weeks.

00k0k_dHTVRDatu48_600x450.jpg

• Members

Oh I am so happy for you and your family.  This warms my heart to see Lily Ann and to know that she will have so much love to look forward to.  

No it doesn’t replace our loved ones who we hold dear but it creates healing in a different way.

i am truly happy that you posted to help share in the joy after going through heartbreak.

Dee

• Members
Jack Russell

So am so pleased for you.  A puppy ........ well she will keep you busy and she is just gorgeous.  We will never forget those we have loved and lost they will always be in our hearts x x

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

Dee and Jack Russell Thank you. She's a little bundle for sure. My Lil guy watches over her already and its only been a day :)  Yeah, i miss my Big Girl but its surely nice to have a puppy again. Probably our last one though as were 59. But its a nice way to put a smile on our faces and makes the house alive again. :)

• Members

That's awesome news! And what a beautiful puppy! I love the name, too. Very happy for you.

Wishing you and the puppy all the best! 

• Moderators

She is just beautiful!  Nothing sweeter than a puppy...a lot of work but a lot of joy.  She will be sure to create a spot in your heart, I wish you much joy with her!

• Members
So sad But Yet So Happy

Just wanted to give an update for Lillieann. She's definetly a typical pup but she REALLY is smart. My wife and i have never owned an English Shepherd and its been an adventure. She's super loving, a bundle of fur and is really super intellegent. She has yet to make a mess in the house, knows her name. Comes on command, sits on command ( about half the time LOL ). Its really funny as she tries to " herd" my little guy and he has none of it. These 2 go round and round in a playful way but she knows when he's had enough. Shadow has come a long way since Savannahs death as he is much more active and is teaching the pup. We love it. Because of our ages, this will probably be our last puppy. I beleive my wife and i picked well as lillieann is much loved and returns that love 10 fold.

Just wanted to give an update on our little ball of fur. I want to Thank everyone in this forum as it has helped tremendously. I know Savannah will be waiting for me on the Rainbow bridge but God has given use a joy back in our lives i thought would never happen. I thank him for that. Wishing everyone well and i hope and pray for everyone here.

Jim

• Moderators

Thank you for coming back here and sharing, it's great to hear your update!  I know we continue to miss the ones we've lost but we have to have reason to go on and it sounds like this is a really good fit for your family!

• Members

Oh Jim,

i am really happy for you all.  This is so heartwarming to hear.  Can you post a picture of her and how she has grown 

enjoy her to the maximum 

Hugs

D

Archived