Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I’m losing my dog tomorrow...

Leafpool182

• Members

My parents plan to put my dog down tomorrow, they got the dog a few months before I was born and all my life I’ve been with him. I feel like part of me is dying with him and I don’t know how to cope. I’ve never felt this sad before.

• Moderators

I'm so sorry.  I went through that when I was 20, I got him when I was five, I picked him out.  I didn't remember not having him, my parents didn't warn me they were going to do it, so no goodbyes.

I'm so sorry, it's very hard, especially being your first one.  It'll take time to adjust, you might want to think about a way to memorialize him.  Are you going to have him cremated or bury him in your yard?
Lots of ideas in the links contained here:
http://www.griefhealing.com/memorializing.htm

• Members

I am so sorry. I have been through this loss more times than I can count - I have had seven dogs as an adult, five growing up, and have had over 20 cats. Keep some of your dog's fur so that you can still pet him when you miss him. If you can have him cremated, that might bring you some comfort as he can always be with you in your bedroom - if your parents want to bury him, maybe you can plant a special plant for him or put a rock or statue on his burial spot. Remember that we only put down humans - we send up animals. I always tell myself that it wouldn't hurt so much if I didn't love so much and have so many happy memories - when you get really sad, think of a happy memory and let it and the love fill you and wash your grief away. And just accept that you are going to hurt for a while and it never really goes away - you just get used to it and learn to live with it. Best wishes to you and to your sweet pup - may he run in peace on the Big Beach in the Sky. <3

• Moderators

I've had nine dogs and eleven cats...to all of our furry friends we meet at the Rainbow Bridge...

Archived