Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Tragically lost my pet rabbit

MariaG

• Members

About a month ago, my pet rabbit, Basil, was killed by my dog, Nova. Nova and Basil always got along and slept together and this was a complete shock to my boyfriend and I. They essentially grew up together and I feel so terrible that I assumed everything would always be fine and that nothing bad could have ever happened. I never thought twice about it and I feel so guilty that I could have let this happen to my sweet girl. I was not at home when she died and I should have been better about keeping them separate when no one was there to supervise.  I talked with my vet after I dropped Basil off to be cremated and he believes that Nova may have accidentally killed her since she has never showed signs of aggression towards her. Losing Basil has been absolutely horrific and I don't even know how to begin to heal. It has also been extremely difficult for me to look at my dog the same too. I know she is an animal with instincts and I can't blame her but I feel like I don't feel the same towards her anymore.

I do want to get another rabbit someday and don't worry, I will take extra precautionary measures with the new bunny and have them both in completely different areas. Part of me feels selfish for wanting another rabbit and the other part of me encourages it because of how much happiness Basil brought into my life. It's really just a tough situation all around and I am doing my best to cope. Basil was my emotional support animal and it makes it that much harder. I am also planning on attending grief therapy asap but I really needed to get this off my chest. 

• Moderators

I have heard this before, it's identical to another story posted before.  If they got along all their life, I would also think it was accidental, rabbits are so small.  When I leave, I leave my cat inside and my dog outside in his pen, but they're in the house together when I'm home.  My dog is not aggressive in the least, but he's huge and kind of a klutz, he could accidentally step on her and that would do great damage.  Please try not to hold it against your dog, he may not have done this intentionally and may not even realize what happened.  

I do hope you can see a grief counselor, make sure it's one that does pet grief.

I'm very sorry for your loss, I know the pain all too well.  :(

• Members

Thank you for your response and your warm words, Kay. I am definitely working on my relationship with my dog too. I've come a long way since the incident as I have had more time to process everything. My dog is also not aggressive and I do truly believe it was an accident. I did speak with a therapist yesterday and hopefully I will be able to get into her office soon for a session!

• Moderators

I hope so, not only for your sake, but for that of your dog.  This was just a horrible tragic accident and I'm sure the dog doesn't understand what is going on.  My heart goes out to both of you.

Archived