Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my sweet old man 3 weeks ago.

theonlydrsooz

• Members
theonlydrsooz

I lost my Shiba Inu Jack on 9/15.  The vet had to help him end his struggle.  I feel bereft without him.  He was 15 and a half and I had had him for 8 and a half years.  I have never been this depressed.  I know I did the right thing for him, but the empty space in my heart and my house is awful.

• Moderators

I am so sorry, your dog is beautiful.  I've only had one dog reach 15, my first one.  It must be terribly hard, I know when my dog goes, I don't know how I'll live through it, we're so close.  I lost my cat over two years ago and I still miss her, so much.  These animals are my family.

We adjust eventually to the changes it means for us, but still we miss them, I'm still missing my granddoggy and he's been gone over five years.  I don't think that ever changes.

• Members

Jack was beautiful, I'm  so sorry for your loss. It is such a difficult time when they are so much a part of your daily life. I lost my boy 10 years ago and I still miss him. I don't think we really ever stop missing them it just gradually becomes easier to deal with the loss.

• Members
theonlydrsooz

I am not doing well at all.  Can't stop thinking about him and how much I miss him. My life feels wrong, like it'll never be right again without Jack. I have an appt next week with a grief counselor at hospice.  I don't know what to do.

• Members
Jack Russell

You will get through this. Just take one day at a time. Do whatever you need to do to manage each day.  It will get better. I lost my little Kelly on 19th June and I am still crying but I can manage to do other things now. You will too.  I miss her so much.  She is in my heart forever.  Grief is a terrible thing but part of life.  It makes you wonder what life is about when we have to bear such heartache.  Grief counselling is a good idea and KayC has put some very good articles to read on previous posts.  Read it all and know that there are others who are also experiencing your pain.  Part of the process for me was that I didn't care about anything around me. The grass needed cutting "who cares" was my thought pattern.  All I cared about was my Kelly.  Nothing else mattered.  My all consuming grief.  But it changes day by day until you can cope with the knowledge that they are gone.  But you were loved by a wonderful companion and you loved in return and that is why it hurts so much.  Be brave there will be better days ahead.

• Moderators

@theonlydrsooz  I'm glad you have an appointment with a grief counselor, I hope you asked if they specialize in pet counseling.  Many do not understand the depth of our pain and our attachment to our pets, how much of an integral part of our lives they have been, it is huge.  It changes so much of our life, our routines, the things we did and shared together, their absence is keenly felt.  Keep coming here and posting, we can't change things but we can listen and it is important to know your feelings are valid and understood, you are not alone.

• Members
theonlydrsooz

Kay, I didn't ask if they do pet loss counseling, but did state I was looking for help to deal with the loss of my beloved dog Jack.  The lady knew that when she called me so they must understand my grief.  My beagle mix Billie knows I'm sad and tries to comfort me by lying in my lap and licking me. 

• Members
theonlydrsooz

Jack, I miss you so.
You were my furry soulmate -
One in a million.

• Members

Grief counseling  is a good idea, and I really hope your appointment helps. Talking it out is much better than holding it all in. I hope posting here is also helpful for you, you are not alone.

• Members
theonlydrsooz

Eight and a half years.
A wonderful companion
Was my sweet old man.

• Members

I am so sorry about Jack, what a beautiful guy. Keep coming here and share. Sometimes that is all we can do. It took me a while to deal with and accept the loss of my cat.

I remember how sad and helpless I felt - and the pain being so immense. I would cry and cry and basically was depressed for some time. I am glad you reached out to get help now.    

• Members

So sorry for your loss. I wish I knew the best words to comfort you besides saying I recognize your pain it is that devastating a loss and yes, we miss them more than we can tell. As @AJWCat said above it takes a while to deal and accept the loss. It is taking me a long while. 

• Members

Yes, gorgeous Jack, bless him. Hardest thing to lose such a friend. One in a million, as you said and indeed. May the many wonderful memories you have of him fill your heart, may the blessing of having had him by your side keep it warm. ❤️

• Members
theonlydrsooz

Missing my sweet old man today.  Was thinking of all the help he needed his last few weeks.  It was a blessing to ease his departure from this life.  I miss him badly but am so glad he's no longer struggling for everything.

I think of how much effort he put into just being with me every day.  Getting up the stairs, even with my help, was exhausting and would leave him panting.  My sweet Jack.

I miss you Jack but am glad you're well now and young again.  I'll see you when I get there.  I'll be right back.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, theonlydrsooz said:

I'll be right back.

That really got to me, that's what I always tell my Husky so he won't worry.

Your beautiful Jack.

• Members

Got to me, too. I told my cats the same and they believed and trusted me on that. Last time I was too late though and my Tripps could not wait for me. I am glad he didn’t, he was in pain and prostrated, away from home, which he hated. I just miss them both so much. Yes, till we meet them again! Like your sweet Jack, they also struggled to be with me in their last weeks/months out of pure love, they that knew nothing of suffering before in their blessed lives. 

• Members

Me too. I would always say to my old girl "Back in a minute". I think about that every time I leave the house. We miss them so much, but at least they are no longer struggling or suffering at all. 

• Members
theonlydrsooz

I am starting to get used to his absence.  It's painful not to see him, but it's a relief to know he's not suffering anymore.  I love you Jack. Here he is with his buddy Lily.

100-4880.jpg

• Members

What a beautiful picture of you lovely Jack.  I am glad to hear you coping a bit better.  I know it's tough and hard looking at photos as well.  Unfortunately their lives are so much shorter than ours and it is inevitable as a pet owner we will suffer the pain of loosing them.  We have to remember how fortunate we were to have them in our lives and look forward to when we see them again.  I would so love to cuddle my little Kelly one more time.   How I miss her as well.  

• Members

Such a beautiful photo. We do get used to them not being there. It's hard, we lost our angels around the same time. I like to think my girl is still with me, in some sense. When I look at her photos it's like she's still here. I think of all the times we had. Everyday I think of something funny she used to do. It helps me through the day. I hope you're doing okay today.

• Moderators

How special to see your cat rubbing on Jack!  My cat hasn't shown any affection towards my dog, but I have seen him concerned about her when she was sick.  Beautiful picture, beautiful memories!

• Members
theonlydrsooz

I highly recommend this book for those grieving a beloved pet.  Goodbye, Friend, by Gary Kowalski.   My sister sent it to me and I really like it.

100-4891.jpg

• Moderators

Thank you for your suggestion!  I've written to add it to our bibliography list and will be buying it next time I suffer a lost of a pet.

• Members
theonlydrsooz

I was finally able to write a poem about Jack.

I lost my sweet old man last year
and it still hurts,
tho not as sharp a pain
as it was at first.

Still staggers me that he's no longer here
for me to pet and love and feed.
He's now beyond my care -
he's in God's hands indeed.

I haven't put away his dishes yet,
can't bear the empty space they'll leave.
And when I look to the top of the steps
and he's not there, I still grieve.

I take comfort in knowing he's not in pain,
nor struggling to do the smallest thing.
He's finally running free again,
and that makes my heart leap and sing.

I wish I could write a stirring poem
to immortalize my old man Jack.
But what I'd rather do instead
is turn Time back.

• Members

Lovely poem. It is true that time is the only thing that can heal our hearts, even then though they are never forgotten. I am coming up on 2 years this August of that horrible day losing our Cat who we had for 10 years. I still think of him so so often. I miss him and still wish the end were different. But I have to deal with it. 

• Moderators

Thank you for sharing that.  I set the poem to a picture of my dog as a watermark.  I want to get it matted and framed...you see, I'm losing him to cancer...

• Members
theonlydrsooz

It's coming up on a year since Jack died.  Hard to believe I've lived without him for so long.  I miss you Jack.  My life is not the same without you. 

• Moderators

I lost my dog Friday.  It is so hard getting used to life without them.  No, our lives are not the same without them, never will be.

• Members
theonlydrsooz

Kay, I am so sorry you lost your dog.  Hugs for you.  xoxo

Archived