Grief Support Marketplace

Check Our New Products In The Marketplace

Take Grieving.com on the Go!

Buy on Apple and Google Play
steve76020

My jack went to heaven today

KayC

Steve,

You did the right thing, your gut instinct was telling you to protect Jack, not to let him suffer.  The vet was likely right in his assessment, he had nothing to gain by telling you that, only giving you facts to help you decide what to do.  Any of us parents want to protect our babies.  I am going through it now too, my dog has cancer and when he reaches the point where he is suffering too much and life is too difficult for him, I will have to decide the same thing, I do not want him to suffer, he doesn't deserve that.  I don't want to keep him alive at HIS expense just so I can selfishly have another day with him.  I do believe we'll be together again in a better place when my time too comes.

It is normal to go through self recriminations, guilt, what ifs in grief...it's our body's way of looking for a different possible outcome.  But it's not steeped in reality, it's our fantasy world, we just want them back.  Who can blame us?!  They were the best part of life, they were such wonderful companions!  

Jack drew his last breath in his physical body, but that didn't affect his love and acceptance of you...the same love you always had for each other is still there.

• Like 1

AJWCat

Steve I reread your story again I am SO sorry. I am not surprised, you were very rushed into the decision but that doesn't mean it was not right for Jack. He was in serious distress. You had no good closure with this. It was sudden, out of the blue and you had no control of the situation to even have time to think. 

Maybe you could write Jack a letter explaining it all? It might help give you the peace of mind you need. I shared here a lot too because I lost my cat in a 2 hour window after he was suffering greatly. It took a long time for me to deal with it. I was really angry and sad. But I know letting him go was the right thing, he was slowly suffering and was not going to make it. Sometimes my mind will play tricks, like, what if he would have turned the corner? No, that's just me bargaining. 

I hope you find some peace with losing Jack, I know how this is and I am so sorry you lost him. 

• Like 1

KayC

AJWCat,

Thank you for being there, you've lived it, you know the right things to say because of that.

foreverhis
On 10/26/2018 at 6:59 AM, KayC said:

I believe they are aware and we will be with them again.  They are in a happy place and I console myself with that...the pain we carry is ours alone to bear and I'm thankful they no longer suffer.

I hope and pray that our special furry babies were there waiting to welcome my beloved soul mate.  I see the three of them in my mind's eye restored to youth and health and taking care of each other now.  I also hope and pray that they will all be there waiting to welcome me when it's my time.  Believing these things helps me get through each grief-filled day now.

I don't intend to insult anyone's faith when I say that I don't think I'd want to believe in a God who didn't welcome animals into Heaven, whatever that turns out to be.

• Like 1

KayC
30 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

I don't intend to insult anyone's faith when I say that I don't think I'd want to believe in a God who didn't welcome animals into Heaven, whatever that turns out to be.

I think there's a great deal of us that feel strongly about that, even if we haven't voiced it as such...to me it only makes sense that our animals will be there. God's highly intelligent, caring, He created them, why wouldn't He have them there?  Heaven couldn't be heaven without our sweet animals.