Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My jack went to heaven today

steve76020

• Moderators

Steve,

You did the right thing, your gut instinct was telling you to protect Jack, not to let him suffer.  The vet was likely right in his assessment, he had nothing to gain by telling you that, only giving you facts to help you decide what to do.  Any of us parents want to protect our babies.  I am going through it now too, my dog has cancer and when he reaches the point where he is suffering too much and life is too difficult for him, I will have to decide the same thing, I do not want him to suffer, he doesn't deserve that.  I don't want to keep him alive at HIS expense just so I can selfishly have another day with him.  I do believe we'll be together again in a better place when my time too comes.

It is normal to go through self recriminations, guilt, what ifs in grief...it's our body's way of looking for a different possible outcome.  But it's not steeped in reality, it's our fantasy world, we just want them back.  Who can blame us?!  They were the best part of life, they were such wonderful companions!  

Jack drew his last breath in his physical body, but that didn't affect his love and acceptance of you...the same love you always had for each other is still there.

• Like 1

• Members

Steve I reread your story again I am SO sorry. I am not surprised, you were very rushed into the decision but that doesn't mean it was not right for Jack. He was in serious distress. You had no good closure with this. It was sudden, out of the blue and you had no control of the situation to even have time to think. 

Maybe you could write Jack a letter explaining it all? It might help give you the peace of mind you need. I shared here a lot too because I lost my cat in a 2 hour window after he was suffering greatly. It took a long time for me to deal with it. I was really angry and sad. But I know letting him go was the right thing, he was slowly suffering and was not going to make it. Sometimes my mind will play tricks, like, what if he would have turned the corner? No, that's just me bargaining. 

I hope you find some peace with losing Jack, I know how this is and I am so sorry you lost him. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

AJWCat,

Thank you for being there, you've lived it, you know the right things to say because of that.

• Members
On 10/26/2018 at 6:59 AM, KayC said:

I believe they are aware and we will be with them again.  They are in a happy place and I console myself with that...the pain we carry is ours alone to bear and I'm thankful they no longer suffer.

I hope and pray that our special furry babies were there waiting to welcome my beloved soul mate.  I see the three of them in my mind's eye restored to youth and health and taking care of each other now.  I also hope and pray that they will all be there waiting to welcome me when it's my time.  Believing these things helps me get through each grief-filled day now.

I don't intend to insult anyone's faith when I say that I don't think I'd want to believe in a God who didn't welcome animals into Heaven, whatever that turns out to be.

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

I don't intend to insult anyone's faith when I say that I don't think I'd want to believe in a God who didn't welcome animals into Heaven, whatever that turns out to be.

I think there's a great deal of us that feel strongly about that, even if we haven't voiced it as such...to me it only makes sense that our animals will be there. God's highly intelligent, caring, He created them, why wouldn't He have them there?  Heaven couldn't be heaven without our sweet animals.

• Members

Well 10 months since jack passed and it still makes me cry to think about it, guys I'm a 6ft 3in tall 235 lb person and that little tiny 15 lb dog broke my heart when he left and I cant seem to shake it. i miss  him so much and i feel like such a coward for being unable to be there in his last moment. it makes me hate myself.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Maybe it made it easier on him to not have to deal with your pain as he focused on his transition...I held my dog, sobbing, as he went to sleep, I feel I unfairly placed that burden on him when he should have been allowed quiet comfort of release.  I guess no matter how we do it we feel we should have done it differently.  But we did our best and we loved them to the moon and far beyond...and they knew it.

My wishes go with you.

• Members
On 8/20/2019 at 8:23 AM, KayC said:

I guess no matter how we do it we feel we should have done it differently. 

This should be emblazoned on our hearts.  It should remind us that we are not alone in those feelings.

We always seem to ask "Why did/didn't I...?" and that we somehow let down the ones we love above all others, including ourselves.  It's only human to want to strive for better.  But I'm beginning to think that doing the best we can at the time, each day, is all we can ask of ourselves because we wouldn't ask for more from our soul mates and all the others we love. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Steve,

I am so sorry to hear of this,the pain is incredible...I had my Arlie put to sleep three weeks ago tomorrow, he had cancer and wasn't operable, it was too late when they caught it, I didn't want him to suffer beyond what he was.  It seems so unfair sweet dogs go through this, I feel as you do, I know there will never be another Arlie.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.  :(

• Members

well reno two days you have been gone and I'm so sorry, you were so peaceful my dear companion and I'm thankful for that but I'm so sorry we went through that. you were my daily companion and you will never know all the tough times you got me through.  thank you for the love and comfort you gave me and I hope at the end I gave you some of the same i just knew you couldn't be happy with your life having trouble even getting a drink and us having to take you to potty and helping you with that, it had nothing to do with our decision what did was knowing how you loved to rip and run and now you couldn't barely get around... I love you boy and I will see you soon

• Like 1

• Members

well 5 days ago reno went to heaven, last November my little honey girl went and on oct, 4 it was my little jack the end of 2018 and 2019 have been a horrible year as far as losing my little companions I still have sparks hes about 17 and very healthy and buddy who is around 12 I love them both tons but they are grieving too as they wander aimlessly around looking for their brothers and sister. it's not fair that the little ones dont live longer it's so hard losing them and I miss them every day.. until I see yall again, run, play, enjoy your newfound health and take care of each other, reno you are the big brother watch out for the little ones..

• Like 1

• Moderators

Steve,

I am so sorry, oh God I know the pain!  It has broken my heart in two to lose Arlie, it was August 16th.  It feels like a nightmare I can't wake up from.  Everything is a trigger and reminder of his absence.  I've questioned my decisions and actions, I've second guessed myself and everything I know about grief with my head, well in my heart it's hard to realize. 

I'm glad you are of the belief and faith that they go to a good place and we'll be with them again.  That is my hope too and I couldn't get through this without it!  My former pastor commented on my facebook that he believes they go to heaven, and that meant a lot to me because he's very educated and I respect his opinions.

I hope this article is of help to you as you have surviving pets that are also missing her.

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2018/06/pet-loss-supporting-your-grieving-pet.html

• Members

I want to thank everyone for helping me get through those hard time from losing my furry children they have all been with me so many years my boy buddy is 14 and getting up there  and I wont be getting another dog I cant take the heartbreak but thank you all for listening and for the Lord blessing me with 14 to 15 years of love from the little guys 4 boys one girl all whom made it a long time except jack and honey with their Chihuahua traits with their throats and hearts they made it over 10 all but one was a rescue dog and reno was a puppy mill rescue the others were adoptions from shelters any way thank you all for caring

• Like 1

• Moderators

Steve (((hugs))) I get it.  I may be on my last, IDK, Kodie is nearly two with expected life span up to 16 years, I can't see me adopting in my 80s, not knowing how long I'll live.  I try to live each day to the fullest with him, same as I did with Arlie.  Kitty shocked me when she died at 25, I know it's crazy but I honestly thought she'd live forever.  I still hold back from getting another cat, I don't know why, I've always had one as an adult.  I've had some wonderful ones.  I know they are all so unique, no two alike.  Unlike dogs who all seem wonderful.

Enjoy your Buddy each day, give him an extra belly rub and a kiss from all of us here.

• Members

I know im 66 today and I have chronic liver disease so getting another wouldnt be fair I probably wont live long enough to make it through it wouldnt be fair to get one and not give it a lifetime home

• Like 1

• Moderators

I understand.  I'm sorry you have liver disease, most Americans have some and don't even realize it.  I was diagnosed with non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver in 2014 when they did an ultrasound, said if it was due to fat it could be reversed if I lost weight (I lost 75 lbs down to 105) but if it was due to Lipitor or parasites it could not be reversed (I had parasites about 24 years ago and was on Lipitor 23 years before going off of it), blood tests always showed normal so no idea of the condition currently.  Ahh our western medicine!  I hope/wish your could be helped!

• Members

well its been 2 years and 2 months sinc jack passed away and its like it was yesterday I still think about him each and every day. he had a personality all his own and I won't forget him ever

3653.jpeg

rip jack

• Like 2

• Members

@steve76020 Your Jack is so handsome.  I absolutely love his ears, so precious.

It's not at all surprising that you still miss him every day.  How could it be otherwise?  We all love all our pets, but sometimes one comes along who is just that much more special, that much more a part of us, and so when we lose them, the grief is that much deeper.

I still miss our Charlie and Penny, even though we lost them many years ago (3 years apart).  They are in my thoughts often and in my heart always.

• Like 1

• Members

I know exactly what you mean he was so smart and devilishly clever in a fun way

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, foreverhis said:

sometimes one comes along who is just that much more special, that much more a part of us, and so when we lose them, the grief is that much deeper.

Yes.  And I suffered one more loss yesterday, so hard.  :(

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

Yes.  And I suffered one more loss yesterday, so hard.  :(

I’m so sorry to hear about Joe. I wish they had told you and let you say goodbye. I know that wouldn’t have made it easier now, but it might have eased your heart a little if you had been able to tell him that you love and missed him. :(

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I know that wouldn’t have made it easier now, but it might have eased your heart a little if you had been able to tell him that you love and missed him. :(

It would have helped tremendously as I could have TOLD him I love him and told him I'd see him again in heaven.  Instead there is this nagging ache in my heart.

• Members
16 hours ago, KayC said:

It would have helped tremendously as I could have TOLD him I love him and told him I'd see him again in heaven.  Instead there is this nagging ache in my heart.

I'm so sorry, Kay.  My heart hurts for both you and Joe today.  But remember when I told missing_my_friend that her sweet Mama knows her heart?  Well, I believe that Joe knows your heart too.  Of course that won't make that ache in your heart settle any time soon, but you know I have absolute faith that Joe will be there when it's your time.  All pains will be behind you both and your reunion will be joyous.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, foreverhis said:

All pains will be behind you both and your reunion will be joyous.

Thank you, I need to focus on that...I just see those sad eyes...

18 hours ago, steve76020 said:

oh no did you have another loss of your loved one. I'm so sorry

Yes, the dog I used to walk every day for ten months, I considered adopting him but he bit me twice and attacked my puppy when he was asleep, only 4 1/2 lbs!  I can't adopt a dog I can't take care of, although he did get along with Kitty who was 25 at the time.

I loved Joe, and our time together, it broke both our hearts when I had to stop walking him but the bite in the left hand and hard yank in my right hand and botched surgery following it caused me to lose 90% of my strength in my hands.  He was a chow, they are strong.  He had a lot of pain, chronic ear infection for which the owners never sought treatment, arthritis, I gave them CBD oil for it and that helped, but he was deaf and going blind, likely from the ear infections.  They didn't take him to the vet until they had him euthanized, I read about it on FB as an "aside" from their posting about their son's haircut.  I felt Joe deserved a post all about him, he meant the world to me.  He was so sweet and I love him.  I never got to say goodbye...

Joe 123021.jpg

• Members

I'm sorry chows are very unpredictable and a dog in pain may bite and act up to try to convey that they are hurting as they can't speak.. take care of your hand and Joe is in dog heaven which I'm sure is a swell place my jack, reno, and sparks plus my neices dog honeybear are there and God wouldn't send those little souls somewhere bad

• Like 1

• Moderators

No, I wonder sometimes why God bothers with humans, it's animals I'd have inhabit heaven!  But His love is amazing, something we can't understand.  I know my Arlie, Joe, Kiitty, Fluffy, Miss Mocha, etc are in heaven, along with yours and everyone's here.  :wub: