Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Writing music and playing music and the Blues

BluesPreacherCreighton

• Members
BluesPreacherCreighton

Hello Everyone

I wanted to make this post for those who are possibly looking for ways to conquer this tough grief. Like you, I went through deep grief, I found my best friend dead, and then my uncle died of cancer two months later. I found solace in music; I have been playing the guitar for a few years and I love Blues music, and when I went through all of this grief, I decided to take this grief and write it into music and I decided to play shows and whenever I get on a stage and get to play, I feel an end to the discomfort and the grief. For those who are going through grief and need something, I would like to offer a suggestion, maybe you should pick up the guitar, or some instrument, study it, work on it, and write out your grief and go to an open mic night in your town and play your songs or covers and do it! The guitar has been so therapeutic for me, and I am beginning to feel my grief get better, and I am getting shows almost monthly. I hope this can help someone who has been through tough grief, and is looking for solace. I would also tell you, for those who want to hear music that is about the grief of others, I would recommend Blues music. Blues music is the root of Modern music, and it is about the life and times of those who went through hell and wrote their feelings through music. Heres a few songs I would recommend you to listen. Take a listen to the lyrics, and youll hear the grief and realize your not alone. I hope this helps you guys as much as it has me! 

• Like 3

• Members

Thank you! I found that the blues helps me get through the day and soothes the pain from grief for the love lost. I guess because it so in sync with my feelings. I have always like the blues and jazz, but since my husband and soulmate passed I play it all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Grieving.com

• Members

Thanks for sharing this, I’ve struggled listening to a lot of music lately. It’s hard to find something that “feels right “. I’ll check out your suggestions.

• Moderators

Love the blues but almost entirely for the music, not the lyrics. Huge SRV fan, as well as some of the other "biggies" like BB King, Buddy Guy, etc.

Music can be very therapeutic, whether it's playing or singing or even just listening, you don't have to play (let alone in front of people...I play for myself but would never do it in public). Or composing...it's something I did very little of before my loss and for some reason took off after that. Not surprisingly a lot of my songs are about her and the loss, regret etc. 

• Like 1