Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grieving and Stressed Girlfriend

Pietro

• Members

Hey guys, so my relationship with my girlfriend is going through a pretty rough patch right now. Everything between me and my girlfriend was fine (No, I wasn't being disillusioned by anything ). However, her dad passed away about 3 weeks ago from alcohol poisoning (he has been an alcoholic his whole life and my girlfriend hated him). I’ve been here for my girlfriend making sure I can help her in whatever way she needs. Of course, I cannot understand what she is going through, and I’m not being selfish as I’m letting her take her time and pace with everything. However, she has grown very distant and is now questioning her future. She states that she loves and cares for me, but can’t deal with the anxiety from a relationship right now. On top of that , she has a big state test at the end of the month. I’ve given her the space she needs and I always tell her I’m there for when she needs me. We had a big fight and I was telling her that if she believes that us breaking up is the best for her, then I would do it as I don’t want to see her unhappy. Her happiness is the most important thing to me, so the last thing I want to see is her being upset because of me. Yet, she couldn’t do it and didn’t want to. I could tell she was still not happy the next day, so I offered that we take a two -week break so she can grieve in her own process (I know it will take longer) and so that she can study for her test. She was appreciative that I'm giving her the space and said we can see where we are in 2 weeks. I’ve been trying my best to play it cool to show her I’m not being needy or clingy, but I’m generally scared of losing the woman I love. Is there any advice I should follow on top of this? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• Members

Dear Pietro,

You are very kind and thoughtful boyfriend. It is very raw losing a beloved father and the grief takes a toll on those suffering and the people around them. I think all you can do is offer to listen and be as supportive as you can. Maybe considering reading these websites for additional information on how grief affects a person. It sounds like you are doing the best you can.

Grief in Common

Grief Share

What's Your Grief

Grief Recovery Method

Grief Healing Blog

Archived