Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My parrot died after surgery last night

meks

• Members

Last night my parrot died. He was 10 his birthday was today.  Last weekend we had people over and someone hit a switch and turned on the cieling fan. No one noticed. The next morning he was sitting on his perch all hunched over. He has a room with a screen door so the dogs cant get to him all to himself. At first I thought he had just hurt his leg as he was limping not weight bearing on the right leg and his joint was swollen. But in a few days he did not improve. His attitude was good. Fiesty as ever. He was an Australian King Parrot. And I've had him for 8 years since I was 14. He was my buddy through high school and university and I feel like I didnt spend enough time with him because I was busy. So we did an xray and his femur was snapped in half. So we booked his surgery for Tuesday the earliest they could do it. A week after his injury.  The other option was to leave it see if he could cope but this was the better option I felt and so did the vet. I was willing to spend the money to fix him because I felt it was not right to leave it.  So I dropped him off yesterday morning. He was meowing at me and asking what I was doing and even started squeaking at me on the drive. I dropped him off I wish I'd given him one last kiss. The doctor called me at 4 and said his surgery went well all good to call and make sure he was still good around 5:30 before I headed over. I called at 5:20 and he was all good. Went and got my boyfriend and we drove over. Got there at 6:20. The doctor took me into the room and told me he had passed. He seizured at 6 on my way over he died. I feel so bad like maybe I should have left it. My boyfriend drove me home because I was too devastated to drive. I had to tell my mom. She was devastated. It was my dad's birthday too. My mom is blaming herself saying she is so sorry. I don't want her to feel guilty it was all flukes. No malicious intent. But I feel so bad like I did the wrong thing for Luther. He was supposed to have another 15 years in him be my buddy for a long time coming. I miss him. It makes me so sad. I woke up crying and can't stop. My mom started looking at getting me another bird. She just wants me to feel better.  I gotta clean up his stuff and I dont know how I'm going to do it. I just feel so devastated. I know some people say it's just a bird but he made a huge impact on my life and I loved him.  I feel so bad. I love you Luther you little brat

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  He's not "just a bird", he was a live being with a personality and feelings, and he was YOUR bird.  I know this is hard, but you did the best you could for him and it's not your fault he didn't make it, you gave him his best shot at it.  We wish it didn't happen, but you're not to blame for any of it.  You are the one that loved him most, you'd have given him anything if only you could, some things just aren't ours to give, life seeming to be one of them, unfortunately.  Of course your mom would like to "fix it" for you, but some things can't be fixed, grief being a big one of them.  There is only sitting with our grief, letting the tears flow, feeling the pain, processing it, and eventually, it takes much time, we begin to adjust to them being gone.  I personally believe we'll be with them again in another time and place where we won't have to say goodbye and there's no more pain or tears.  That gives me much hope, and I hope it does you too.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

• Members

Hi Meks,

"Its just a bird"? No, your little guy was a precious gift from the Creator. The loss will of course leave you with guilt, pain, but also very fond memories.

Many people live their entire life and never really experience true love. Your animals love you, regardless of your status, bank account, hair color, weight, mistakes etc. They forgive, 100 times easier than we humans do...right?

I truly think the love of a special animal trumps any love imparted on us by most humans. I don't even like using the word "animal" or "pet", as somehow I feel it degrades the quality of love you have for your parrot. As you know, they love you back fully and completely.

I am sorry for your loss. Its going to take time...please allow yourself to grieve. Its helps to process what has happened, and you need that time. It does not matter what anyone else thinks.

Peace.

• Members

Oh, I am so so sorry to read this for what happened to your sweet little Luther. :( I feel absolutely heart broken for you. Of course you are crying - this was not suppose to happen and this will take some time to heal. Not yourself grieve and come here to post if you need to. (I sure did I have pages about my cat.) And leave his things for a bit, there is no time table you need to follow. My thoughts are with you.  

• Members

I too am very sorry to hear about your loss - there is little to add to what Kay, David and AJWCat wrote above. We relate to your pain, having experienced our own over the death of a precious and beloved being, who was there with and for us for many years and with whom we experienced the purest love. There is really no hierarchy between our relationships with humans and animals and less so in terms of what is proper to feel and what is not. Actually humans would have a significant lot to learn from the way our parrots, dogs and cats live and love on this earth. I think we here are blessed we’ve been allowed to find out the joy of having them play such a big part in our lives. 

• Members

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, @meks.  They aren't "just" pets.  They are our companions and friends and the pain we feel when we lose them is real.

May you find peace in this time of grieving.

• Members
Gwendolyn Rose

Dear meks,

As a former parrot owner, I must commend you on being observant to Luther's injury.  Parrots are well known for hiding their illnesses and injuries, and most parrot owners find their bird passed away at the bottom of the cage without a clue that they were sick.  I must also commend you for being willing to put up the money necessary for Luther's surgery.  Where I live, exotic vets charge astronomical prices that most people simply cannot afford.  Also remember that parrots are fragile creatures and it is very common to lose a parrot to the slightest physical trauma.  The other option is to never let them out of the cage, but where is the quality of life in that? 

Now some advice: don't rush in to get another parrot!  They are very sensitive creatures and a new bird will pick up on your grief and sorrow.  Parrots often react to strong emotions they sense in their people by biting, and that is the last thing you need right now.  Allow yourself time to work through all the painful but necessary emotions connected to Luther's passing.  I am approaching the first year anniversary of my dear parrot's passing and I could not bear to see another parrot in her cage.

Be well, my dear.

Archived