Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my 16 yr old soul dog yesterday - this info gives me hope

Homers_ma

• Members

Yesterday I made the decision to let go of my beautiful boy. He was my constant companion for 16 years, had more of a personality than a lot of people, and I loved him / love him to no end. My husband who has been with us for 5 yrs says he never grieved like this for his past 2 dogs which were with him their entire lives. Homer was different.

I am heart broken and I cannot imagine life without him.

I did find an online article helpful. It explained why grieving was so important. Hopefully it helps someone else as well. Everyone be well - and I am sorry for your loss.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/animal-attachment/201703/my-pet-died-and-i-cant-stop-crying

20180711_094319-1.jpg

• Moderators

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog.  Thank you for taking the time to share that article with us, I don't think I've seen one that explained so thoroughly what happens in our body when we cry in our grief.  I've saved the article to share with others as needed.

Grief is a process, it has a beginning but no definitive ending...but it does evolve.  In the beginning the pain is immense, but eventually as we begin to adjust to the changes it means to our lives, we become more able to remember the memories with comfort, even a smile.  

May you know your little dog is happily playing at Rainbow's Bridge, and that you will be together again.

• Members

First, I too am so sorry for your loss. It will no doubt be a big adjustment - it is so profound. I have been where you are right now and I did a LOT of crying from the deepest part of my soul.

Thank you for sharing that article it is one of the best I have ever read. I hope you are doing okay. 

• Members

KayC summed it up perfectly...."the pain is immense". 

I know exactly what you are going through Homers_ma.

I lost my girl 12 days ago, and am barely beginning to function again. For a doberman she lived a very long time (14.5 years). I work out of my home office, so she was never more than 10 feet from my desk. She was so smart, when I talked to her, and she looked at me, she knew exactly what I was saying.

Hell she even invented games for us to play. Her favorite (although a little crazy) was to wait for a toilet paper roll to become due. When the toilet roll was spent, we would put it on our bathroom counter. She would get so excited, she absolutely loved for me to give it to her so she could proudly strut her stuff to the kitchen, and walk right up to the trash can. She would wait there until I arrived and she would kindly hand it to me and watch me put it in the can. That was her favorite job in the whole world. My wife and I would collect rolls, so she always had a chance to "play her game". 

Every now and then a special soul comes in your life.....that bond is so special, few get a chance to experience it. You should feel special that such a soul came into your life to share his life with yours and your husband. The more special you were, the more painful it seems.

I try to comfort myself a bit by talking to her in my mind, several times a day. I also have her collar on my desk, and wrap it around my wrist, while I work. Makes me feel a little closer to her. 

Perhaps you also may have something that you could place around your wrist, or somewhere close by. His essence is still in your home. I don't think they truly leave us actually, as long as we have them in our mind and heart.

I hope this post will bring you a little bit of solace. I know exactly what you are going through.

We will be with them again, somewhere in space and time.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, David L said:

Hell she even invented games for us to play.

My dog has too, he's the only dog I've ever had that has done this, so I smile at the thought of your girl also loving to play games with you.  It's so funny to see their personalities, your dog and mine would have been great friends.  ;)

16 hours ago, David L said:

Every now and then a special soul comes in your life.....that bond is so special, few get a chance to experience it. You should feel special that such a soul came into your life to share his life with yours and your husband. The more special you were, the more painful it seems.

So true.

16 hours ago, David L said:

I don't think they truly leave us actually, as long as we have them in our mind and heart.

A good thought to leave us with.

Archived