Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I am heartbroken over the loss of my dog 3 days ago

egs

• Members

Hi everyone!

I am so heartbroken over the loss of my rat terrier that took place 3 days ago. I feel so lost. I spend most of my days crying to the point where I dehydrate myself. Also my body has been going numb, right when I get home and sit down. My chest feels so tight. She was my best friend and I miss her so much. She truly was one of the funniest dogs I have ever had, and sweetest. I can't believe she is gone, and still hope that when I get home she will be at the door to greet me, like she once did. I have 4 other dogs and they are all so sad and will still look around the house for her, and it pains me to see it. Also last night right before I went to bed I heard her foot steps in my room, while I was in my room alone. I just miss her and her silly little smile she used to do so much!!:( RIP Louise 

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

fullsizeoutput_9b2.jpeg

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

• Members
5 minutes ago, egs said:

Hi everyone!

I am so heartbroken over the loss of my rat terrier that took place 3 days ago. I feel so lost. I spend most of my days crying to the point where I dehydrate myself. Also my body has been going numb, right when I get home and sit down. My chest feels so tight. She was my best friend and I miss her so much. She truly was one of the funniest dogs I have ever had, and sweetest. I can't believe she is gone, and still hope that when I get home she will be at the door to greet me, like she once did. I have 4 other dogs and they are all so sad and will still look around the house for her, and it pains me to see it. Also last night right before I went to bed I heard her foot steps in my room, while I was in my room alone. I just miss her and her silly little smile she used to do so much!!:( RIP Louise 

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

fullsizeoutput_9b2.jpeg

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2754.JPGmy dog daily laying with her at her "grave"

• Members
teresa cummings

So sorry for your loss.  I lost my little rat terrier three weeks ago and It's like it was yesterday.  He was my world   His name is Biggs and he was my shadow day in and day out for fourteen years.  He looks so much like your dog, almost identical markings.  I just don't know what to do with myself.  I had to quit work because of depression/anxiety ten years ago so I'm pretty much house-bound.  He was so much company.  The loneliness is killing me.  Glad you have other dogs to love.  I don't think I'll get another dog......just could not stand going through pain like this again.  I have two kitties, but they like it outside.  Hope you feel better soon.  

• Members

So cute, such cute pictures, I am so sorry for your loss. i am glad you do have your other dogs so you can grieve together. :( Try to take care of yourself. Drink water. Rest. It is so stressful, that is why your chest is tight. if it helps come here and post more of your thoughts or feelings. I did. It is how I got through some really hard, dark days. 

• Moderators

egs, Her smile is adorable!  I used to have a whippet that grinned, so precious!  I am so sorry you also are facing loss of someone precious to you, very very hard.  My heart goes out to you, it seems there's nothing that helps when we're in that acute grief, nothing but time to process and assimilate this change to our lives.  I pray for peace to comfort you as you look back on the memories you shared with her, we were the lucky ones that got to share our lives with them.

• Members

Dear Egs,

So sorry to hear of your loss.

All of us on this forum know exactly how you feel.

I lost my girl 8 days ago, and words cannot describe what I went through and am going through. Like you, I was lucky enough to be able to bury her in my yard, and I visit her, and talk to her every day. I also wrote her a letter and read it out loud over her grave. Thanking her for choosing me to be her dad and asking her for forgiveness for all the mistakes I made over her 14.5 years with me.  That really brought a lot of comfort, at least for a while. Its just a suggestion, but if you are up for it, please consider writing her a letter and reading it to her. Then bury it with her, or burn it, and let the ashes fall where they may.

When I first read that suggestion, I thought is was foolish, but I decided to "go for it". Man, it really helped me, especially the forgiveness part for all my mistakes.

I hope you find the strength to talk to her daily, as it may bring you comfort as the days pass by.  

Please know that she lives on, inside your heart. Her spirit is with you, don't give up on her.

Just because we cant see our soulmates, does not mean they are not with us. Over the past 8 days I have read a lot of testimonies on Near Death Experiences, from people who spent time with their dogs and cats, and then returned to this plain, to tell their tale.

This has brought a bit of comfort to me, and I am more convinced than ever, that we all will see our soulmates in time. For now please cherish your other dogs, as they are hurting as well and can be a great comfort to you. Please know that you are not alone. 

I hope hour by hour, day by day, the hurt will diminish, if just a bit.

• Moderators
On 8/11/2018 at 3:11 PM, David L said:

Man, it really helped me, especially the forgiveness part for all my mistakes.

We all have made those mistakes, we're human.  They get that and they do forgive us.  Honestly, I think they just overlook it, they set the examples for true forgiveness.  Another reason I love dogs so much.

• Members

Dear @egs

What a sweet smile your little dog had.  I can see why she brought you such happiness. 

I keep looking for my dog who died almost two months ago, and early this morning I lost my cat of 18 years. The house doesn't feel the same without them.

Archived