Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Our Beloved Dane, Toby

Ericafan

• Members

We had to make the heart wrenching decision to say goodbye to our almost 8 year old boy. Mid July he bit our six year old daughter in the face causing stitches and a week in children’s hospital in an unprovoked incident.

He had so many health issues, a bad liver, inoperable tumor which was growing, bad hips and worsening night time confusion (which was probably happening during the day time too). 

Although this happened, making this decision was the hardest and worst decision we’ve ever made. We have spent since December 2010 making this gentle giant the center of our world, and although we went through such a tragic event and knew his health was spiraling downward it is so hard to live with our decision and without him. We said goodbye on July 27 and I imagined it would be getting easier and not worse. 

We are walking around feeling dead inside and our daughter sobs because she misses her best friend so dearly. I won’t go on about how wonderful he was up until the incident, but he was one of a kind and I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t such a loss for us. 

I just don’t know how to live with our decision, although there was no other viable option. My heart hurts like nothing I’ve ever imagined was possible. 

91F6D7A2-614A-4791-99DF-4AC1B6167C1F.jpeg

33CCB66F-467C-44BE-9A33-22D22D473F1E.jpeg

• Members

I understand what you are going through. I, too, am trying to live with the decision I made to put our cat to sleep. My mind is spiralling in regret now as I am not sure it was the right decision. However, the decision we made did end his suffering. He has been my cat since I was 7 years old, but I didn't think it would be this hard as I haven't seen that much of him in the past few years, as I had moved away for university. But its unbearable.
I am very very sorry for your loss and I hope it gets better for you soon. x

• Moderators

My heart goes out to you.  You did make the only decision you could.  If an animal bites, unprovoked, they're not eligible for rehoming because they could do it again.  I had a golden retriever, Teddy, that we had to have euthanized one day before his tenth birthday because he bit a close friend and neighbor.  He was one of those people that Teddy never should have bit, their dogs and Teddy played together regularly, we took care of each other's dogs when one of us would go away, we were close.  The neighbor was dropping a package off at our place that had come to his house, and he was talking to Teddy and backing slowly away when Teddy attacked him.  No choice, it had to be done, we knew Teddy had cancer and figured it must have got to his brain.  We'd planned on having him put to sleep within a few months, hoping if he made it through the winter he could have another summer first, but that didn't happen.  Sometimes we just have to do what must be done.

I am very sorry for your pain, of course you love and miss him, and your little girl does too.  It could be the pain was getting to him just as it did with our Teddy.  I don't know any easy way through this loss but time does soften the blows we feel in our hearts.  (((hugs)))

• Members

There is such a lot of guilt tied to this decision. My boy had to be put to sleep last weekend. The guilt I feel, even though he was sick, is overwhelming. 

Toby looks like he was a beautiful boy. I hope you are able to find some peace knowing your decision was the right one, however excruciating for you.

Archived