Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Cat Missing

Pilar

• Members

My cat Jill has been missing for 5 days. She is a Tabby and has a brother name Jack.To make a long story short  because it is too painful for me to even talk about her...I am almost certain that she was taken by the coyote that has been prowling our neighborhood. There was another pet that disappeared about a month ago and was never found. The owners are pretty sure that is what happened too.

I can accept her death for it arrives for all of us, but what is HORRIFIC to me is the way her life was taken. She was a very cautious and easily spooked cat. The panic and fear that she must have gone thru rips my heart into pieces. I hope she did not suffer. How can I make sense of this?

My kids are all very sad and I am suppose to be a role model to them but I am unable to keep it together. I can't stop crying.

• Members

I am so sorry for you and your cat. :( You are not alone, this sadly has happened to so many cats here. 

I wish I could say something to make you feel better. I would like to think, that she went fast and the pain was quick. I think that is how those attacks are if it gives you some comfort. My cat died a pretty slow death (about 2 hours after getting violently ill from a poison.) Sadly, death does come and sometimes it is not good. All we can do is come to terms with it and try to find some level of acceptance and peace. You will get there, it just takes time.  

You can be a role model to your kids and be sad. It's okay to all grieve together. If you don't want to upset them, go cry in the shower. But you need to grieve and let out the pain. 

• Moderators

Pilar,

I went through something similar...June 3, 2016 my cat, Miss Mocha, disappeared.  I was outside all day and heard nothing.  There are cougars around so I figure that's probably what got her, although they don't usually manifest in broad daylight and I never let her out before daylight.  Still daylight is no guarantee.  She never would have left on her own, she was very happy here and she didn't crawl off to die because she was in great health.

It's very hard, no matter how death comes.  I am so sorry for your loss.  I'm assuming you've put up flyers and posted on social media and talked with neighbors.  None of mine had seen or heard anything.

It's actually good for your kids to see that it is okay to grieve, okay to feel sad and express it.  They need to know it's a healthy emotion.  It takes time for us to adjust, it's very hard.  I kept looking at the patio door waiting for her to show up, she never did.  I still miss her.

Archived