Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How can I help him understand?

Virginia 82

• Members
Virginia 82

I lost my 10yr old daughter 2 years ago to a hit and run driver. I recently started dating someone and today, out off the blue, of course, I was hit with a very large wave. How can I help him see this is not his doing? He didn't do anything. I'm not at the point, yet, where I want him to see me like this. I know that shutting him out is not a good idea but he doesn't do well with tears. I don't know what to do. I want him to be a part of my life, but I'm not sure he really knows what he signed on for. Please help me, I really do want to let him in, I just don't know how. 

• Members

I think it's better to sit down with him and be totally honest with what happened and how it effects you. Try to explain that waves of emotion come upon you that you don't expect or can control. Let him know what you need at these times. Ask him to be honest because it is better to know if he can handle your new reality or not. Trust me it's better to know early. I lost a boyfriends a few days ago and he was my only support he knew this and left anyway because he couldn't take how I was grieving. It's only made me feel worse. I hope you have a solid keeper on your hands and he can be there for you and you for him consistently. 

Be well

Archived