Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my Nala my beautiful cat I can’t cope

Henna

• Members

I lost my beautiful baby girl my little Nala and I can’t cope. Someone ran her over she was left at the side of the road. They said she looked like she was just sleeping. I feel like I can’t live without her. It was just us.  Me and her she helped me with my depression and now she’s gone and I miss her she loved me so much she was with all the time lying in bed with me she would have me hold her like a baby she was so effectionet and I don’t wanna live with out her. She gave me a reason to get up and now she’s gone and I can’t I just can’t do it 

0620BB11-D9E3-4E9B-A62D-527535FA1E64.jpeg

• Moderators

I am so sorry, it would have been nice of them to have tried to find out whose cat they hit rather than just speeding off.  It angers me that some people can be so uncaring.  She is a beautiful kitty.  

I hope you won't let this affect your adopting in the future.  I know it's not the same as cats especially are all so unique, but each one we love enriches our lives.  I recently read an article on how cats benefit our lives. http://mentalfloss.com/article/51154/10-scientific-benefits-being-cat-owner

I know you are in a lot of pain right now, grief is not easy.  It will lessen in time, but you will always remember and miss her.  I believe with all my heart we'll be with them again someday.

• Members

Thank you. It hurts so much it’s hard to see how I can carry on without my best friend. That little fur baby became my world. I feel like I’ll never get over her but I have to keep going. She didn’t cure my depression but she made it easier. She saved me from myself and I couldn’t save her 

• Moderators

Somehow we expect that we should be able to protect them from everything, but we can't.  When we can't, we fault ourselves for it, but honestly, guilt should not belong to us, it's part of grief to feel this way.  Read on here:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

• Members

I feel for you Henna for the loss of your dear Nala.  I hope in time you will feel able to live on  in Nala's memory and take pride in the wonderful happy life you gave her while she was with you.  What happened to her at the end is in no way your fault and doesn't take away the many happy days you gave her and the love that you gave her too.

• Members

I am so so sorry to hear about Nala. :(

What a beautiful sweet little thing. Jtc is right, it does not take away all the many happy days. I know you are so so sad, the pain is real and it is intense. I have been there. (Long story I won't go into here!) But I understand where you are. Just let yourself grieve. It's normal. And slowly it will get better and you will find some peace and not so much pain. 

• Members

I am so sorry. Losing your baby that way, horrible.  She looks so beautiful.  Things will get better.  The pain you feel now is all the love you have for her.  Your heart will hurt for a while but eventually you will find peace.  Think of her watching over you now. She is your angel

• Members

Thank you for replies, it’s nice to know people understand. They say it gets easier in time but it’s seems harder everyday because it’s another day I haven’t cuddled her. Nala was very needy and at times she was more like a dog then a cat. She licked my face and she new her name and NEVER ignored me. How can such a Beautiful thing that meant everything to me lay dead on the side of a road? How do I live with that? I won’t have children she was literally my child and she died in a horrible way and that’s all I can think of. The memories make me sad cause I just picture her lying there. I think about the times I shouted at her and the times I couldn’t be bothered to sit with her I’d stay in my room and shut the door cause of my depression and wish I could go back and open the door and let lye with me. I wish I never left the window open that night, I wish I said goodnight.  How long did it take for the ache to go? Or are some of yous still in pain? I’ve had to move Into my mums house cause I can’t live in that flat without her. My world is torn apart. I used to sing “you are my sunshine” to her since when she was a baby and she’d just snuzzle into me. That song really does ring true. She was my sunshine and when she left she took my sunshine away and I miss her so much 

• Members

I feel for you -. especially as the circumstances were so upsetting, and you had such a very close loving bond with your dear Nala.  Nala clearly had a wonderful life with you and so much love and affection, I think you should feel so proud of yourself for all the love you gave her, she clearly was so affectionate to you because she knew and appreciated your love. it is a normal part of grief to blame yourself when you are not to blame.  We support you and are here for you. 

• Members

I think with the circumstances it is natural to feel worse before you feel better, you are probably still in shock.  It was clearly an awful thing to happen.  You said that Nala  looked as though she was sleeping when she was found hopefully it sounds as though it was very quick with minimal suffering. Looking at her picture she clearly was a beautiful cat.  She loved you so much and she would not have wanted you to suffer like you are.  I'm sure she would have wanted you to take care of yourself in the same way that she did for you while she was with you.  I hope you will do some things to give yourself some comfort. I'm glad you are with your Mum. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Henna said:

They say it gets easier in time but it’s seems harder everyday because it’s another day I haven’t cuddled her.

It can feel harder as it sinks in before we get used to the changes it means for our lives.  We expect to see them at the door, feeding time is a rude reminder that they're gone, etc.

The intense pain we feel in the beginning diminishes and instead we're left with a kind of a sadness, the sadness of missing them.  I can't say how long it takes because it's different for all of us depending on the depth of love and interaction, our own coping skills, personalities, even our involvement with the outside world can affect our adjustment, but it will happen and time does have a way of marching on even when it seems impossible.

I just posted this elsewhere but want to for you too as I feel you'd really benefit from pet loss counseling.
http://www.griefhealing.com/pet-loss-counseling.htm

And also this article:

http://www.griefhealingblog.com/p/pet-loss-articles.html   (Be sure to check out the links at the bottom.)

• Members

Great posts from JTC and KayC. You are in shock still. I was just like you. My cat died a horrible death - not on the street, from a poison I think. We were in a vacation house living for the summer. He was like our child. 

I was absolutely crushed. the whole world was dark. I had no joy. I couldn't imagine getting over it. It was very slow truthfully. I had so many emotions - guilt, sadness, anger and before I could deal with one, another would take its place. There are no easy answers. You just do the best you can every hour and every day. I know you miss her terribly and you will never forget her. You will slowly reach a place of peace with this I promise you. But is it easy? No. She was too special for the loss to be "easy." :(   

• Members
Jack Russell

There is no doubt about it, that is a beautiful looking cat.  I am more a dog person than a cat but your Nala was so lovely.  I lost my little Kelly four weeks ago and unfortunately it still hurts so much.  Not so raw as I am managing to do things other than sitting on the sofa thinking about my beautiful girl or crying.  Yes the pain is intense when we lose our lovely babies.  I think I am doing ok and then something triggers memories and I am off again. It is unbearable sometimes.  But as each day goes on things will get better.  We are all suffering the pain or have suffered, so we know how you feel.  I hope reading the stories here makes you realise you are not alone.

• Members

@Henna, I'm so sorry for your loss!  

I understand your feelings as I recently lost my dog who helped me stay afloat.  She wasn't a trained therapy dog, but she definitely did the job.  It's difficult to deal with the sadness when the one who helped you is gone. 

I hope you are able to find some peace and comfort. Please know that you are not alone.

• Members
On 7/28/2018 at 6:01 AM, Henna said:

I lost my beautiful baby girl my little Nala and I can’t cope. Someone ran her over she was left at the side of the road. They said she looked like she was just sleeping. I feel like I can’t live without her. It was just us.  Me and her she helped me with my depression and now she’s gone and I miss her she loved me so much she was with all the time lying in bed with me she would have me hold her like a baby she was so effectionet and I don’t wanna live with out her. She gave me a reason to get up and now she’s gone and I can’t I just can’t do it 

0620BB11-D9E3-4E9B-A62D-527535FA1E64.jpeg

I am so sorry sweetheart I understand your pain she is just so beautiful your like me with my dog going through hell at the moment I can't cope either we have to just go with it and endure the hurt thinking of you xx

• Members
teresa cummings

Oh Heather, I feel your agony.  My beautiful cat, Mitzi,  died in my arms two weeks ago.  She was with me eighteen years.  The next day my sweet dog Biggs died suddenly right before my eyes.  They were my emotional support....my everything.  I live alone and do not venture out much because of social anxiety and depression.  They were the only world I had.  Everything has shifted....everything is surreal...like in a nightmare.  My house is like a tomb....cold and dreary.  It's so hard to stay but I have no place else to go.  Seems the pain is worse every day.  I buried them in my back yard.  I can't go out there.....just can't.  I get weak in the knees when I approach the back door.  I lost my husband suddenly thirty years ago and thought no pain could ever be that bad.....ever.  Had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized.  I worked then and received a lot of support from co workers.  Now it's just myself.  No friends that understand how devastated I feel.  I have a sister who tries to comfort me but, unless you've been through it, they just don't get it.  I call her but nothing helps....nothing.  Biggs and Mitzi were my world.  I may have taken them for granted sometimes and I wish I could turn back time.  I didn't realize what a support they were until they were gone.  So you are not alone.  The only comfort I feel is when I come to this site.  Please keep sharing here if you feel the need.  We all understand.  So very sorry for your loss.

Archived