Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Research on photographs and parental bereavement

JYJung

• Members

(*I sincerely apologize in advance if any parents using this forum find my post intrusive or inappropriate - should it be the case, I will delete this post.)

I am a PhD student at the University of Michigan School of Information whose research interest revolves around the relationship between photographs, memory, and parental bereavement. I have been interviewing bereaved parents to better understand the roles that photographs can play in their grieving process to explore technical solutions that could help support more meaningful and sustainable photo experiences for remembrance. 

I am seeking parents who would be willing to share with me their experience related to photographs of their loved child/children. Participants that I am seeking currently are parents whose child was under 21 years old at the time of her/his passing and had a photographic device of her/his own such as a digital camera or a smartphone. 

If you agree to participate, you will be interviewed about how you (or do not) use and archive photographs of your child/children, what these photographs mean to you, and any needs and concerns you may have regarding their use. The interview will take around 1-2 hours and can be conducted over the phone or video. With your permission, you may also be asked to show and comment on some of these photographs as part of the interview process. This part is completely optional. Participation is voluntary - even if you decide to participate, you can change your mind and stop at any time and you do not have to answer any questions you do not want to answer or show pictures you do not want to share. 

I understand this is an extremely difficult topic to study but I believe it also is an extremely important one that will help us gain a better understanding of our experience of loss and memorialization using photographs. Listening to bereaved parents' stories will provide us with invaluable insight into this complex yet important topic that may be used to design photo practices that can support the grieving process and continuing bonds with loved ones. Every story counts. 

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this research, please do feel free to contact me (email: juyjung@umich.edu / mobile: 734-680-6490).
Thanks so much for your consideration. 

Archived