Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing a friend, want to send a note to his family

khl

• Members

A friend passed away a few months ago. We were pretty good friends, having seen many movies together over the last ten or so years. From facebook posts, it seems he may have committed suicide, his family saying his death was caused by alcoholism and depression led to a downward spiral of poor health, drinking, and deeper depression. I did not go to the funeral and have never met his family. I bought a card to send them but not sure what to say on it. Would it be inappropriate to send a sort of remembrance card on his birthday in a few months? Thank you for any suggestions.

• Members

Dear khl,

I am sure any expression of sympathy or condolence will be appreciated by the family. They want to know their son has not been forgotten and good friends remember him fondly.

During these sad and difficult times, I know cards, flowers, a poem, or donation to their favorite charity would be appreciated.

No matter what you decide, the fact you are thinking of him will be received with gratitude.

Archived