Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A loss that i Cant get over

JulieRML

• Members

Its been a couple Of months, and i still cant get over the loss Of my cat’s death. And people in my family dont really seem to get how hurt i am, especially my mom. Who is the one i want to understand me more than anyone, even my grandparents Who has had dogs since my mom and her brother Were kids says we Shouldn’t even get a new cat. Theres one adult whos Not even family, Who understands and knows my pain Of the loss Of a pet. I’m also the kind Of person Who moves On and accept a loss by getting a new pet, my mom doesn’t get it though. And i just dont know What to do. My mom gets mad when i talk about How quiet it is, and How i miss hearing her pawsteps. She just says “yeah, But Were Not getting a new cat” i wanna explain to her How i miss having a cat in the House, and feeling that feeling only a pet can give You, But she’ll just get mad. Does anyone have any tips. 

• Members
BobIngersoll

Julie, so very sorry for what you have experienced.  I am assuming you are young, and / or live with your mom?  If that is the case, it sounds like you will just have to put off the idea of getting another cat for some time.  Perhaps give her another month or so without bringing it up, then try asking again.  Perhaps put in the form of a short letter, explaining how you feel and your desire.

Unfortunately, some people, perhaps many people, just don't understand the impact that the loss of a pet has on those of us who love them so.  

If I have misread your post, and you do live on your own, well then, just do what you want.  

That's the only advice I can come up with at the moment.  Perhaps others will chime in.

• Moderators

Julie,

I'm so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like you're young and under your mom's control still...there will come a time you'll be on your own and can make a choice to have a cat again.  You have tried expressing yourself to your mom to no avail, sh'es not hearing you.  There is an article about all the ways a dog can help you...the same could be said of a cat for some people.  Perhaps if your mom read the article she could understand your need?

https://www.wileypup.com/health-benefits-of-having-a-dog/

Aww...found one!

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51154/10-scientific-benefits-being-cat-owner

• Members

First I am so sorry for your loss. It is SO painful. I lost my cat almost a year ago and I still miss him.  

I agree with everything Bob said here. If you do approach your Mom on this again I'd sit her down and tell her you need to talk to her. Don't just throw it out as a casual request. Explain to her your feelings. Tell her that she may not care one way or the other about having a cat but you love having one and that it is actually really important to you and you hope she would reconsider. Maybe she will take it a bit more seriously.  

• Members

Losing you’re cat must of hurt a lot and I’m sorry for your loss.  I too have just recently lost my cat and my heart is broken.  Looking for other ways to cope such as this website is a great idea.  Sometimes I just like to be alone and think of all the fun times I had with my cat.  Maybe try to scrape book picture of your cat and take your sadness and make it into something special.

Archived