Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Gf lost her late husband in suicide

Onelove07

• Members

My girlfriend I've been seeing for several months has started grieving again about her late husband that commited suicide few years back. She thought she was over it for the most part to the point she could move forward with her life and date again. We recently started dating and right away built a connection that was incredible in every way. We had such a strong connection and had even been talking about future plans together. Her mother in law brought up the night her son died and begin asking questions about that night. From my understanding the mother in law has done this several times and every time it brings her down and makes her start grieving again. Now that she is grieving she has stopped talking to me because she said she doesn't want to keep leading me on as she doesn't have her head on right. She misses her late husband and just wishes she could have that life back. With those thoughts constantly going through her mind even knowing she will never get it back she doesn't want to continue with our relationship for the time being. She has contacted her counselor and is getting back on a routine with her to get help and get through this. It's left me with a broken heart  and we haven't talked in a week since this happened. I am trying to be respectful and give her her space but I want her to know I'm thinking of her and care for her. I would be patient to wait for her no matter how long it takes. How can i try showing her I want to be there for her without pushing her away. Would some simple flowers or a card be to much. How should I help her if I can at all?

• Members

Do exactly that and write on the card what you just said "I'm thinking of her and care for her. I would be patient to wait for her no matter how long it takes" and that you understand she needs space. My boyfriend committed suicide this year and I hope I'm lucky enough to find someone like you one day :) 

• Members

I lost my husband 6 months ago to suicide and I will never be fully over it.  If you really want to be with her, Patience is key.  Be her friend while you cannot be her lover.  She will have to learn how to have a new life, and that is really hard to do.  It will take time.  You feel like you're betraying your dead partner.  Which isn't true but emotions and logic are not friends at a time like this.  

I wish you both luck.

Archived