Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Understanding Cancer

4sisters

• Members

My wonderful, older sister battled with breast cancer several years ago. She didn't tell anyone in our family until after she began chemo. She is very private and feels that she always needs to be strong. She messaged all of us ( parents and 3 sisters) a few days ago telling us her cancer was back and that she had been receiving treatment since February and that she needed prayers. This coming from my sis.. even asking for prayer, was something that shocked me and told me how dire the situation was even if she didn't give details. She still hasn't. She has landed in the ER twice since she told us the news with elevated bilirubin levels. 5 litres of fluid was drained from her abdomen the second time and she finally agreed to take meds to manage her pain. Her husband finally told us she has needed two transfusions, double blood, double platelets   ( apparantly her level was a 2!!) And that she now has two tumors on her liver. Our parents have traveled to help her, her husband and 3 girls. My sis is only 45. I'm not getting any answers on whether I need to drop everything and go.. no one gives direct answers! I need someone who has dealt with this to give me a no nonsense answer.. tell me what to expect here. I'm expecting the worst and praying for the best. Is there hope? I can Google stuff all day long but it gives such generic answers.  Someone with some understanding of this could possibly explain it better. It seems like this is the the end and I've only just found out! I'm angry, scared, you name it but I deal with things better when I know what comes next.  Thank you...

• Members

Dear 4sisters,

I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's diagnosis. It is normal to be facing all these raw emotions.

I would encourage you to go and see your sister and her family. Take the time to be with her. Tell her you love her and want to support her. Tell her its okay, you don't have to be the strong one. We are here with you.

No one can ever know for sure the amount of time they have. But the most important thing is to say something and do as much as you can for the person. Let them know you care and love them.

Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived