Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Taking care of grandmother

tiffanyToms

• Members
tiffanyToms

My grandmother is suffering from Alzheimer's. Her health condition has become worse. How can we take care of an Alzheimer's patient? 

• Members
Nicole-my grief journey

Hi Tiffany, I don’t have first hand experience on the best course of action regarding Alzheimer’s, but I wanted to reply and extend love and prayers. When I haven’t been sure of how to help my mom, I have called her insurance first to see what her options are for care in facilities that specialize in her needs. Sometimes there are social workers that can guide you too. I’ve used their guidance (some more helpful than others), but most of all; I’ve done my own research online, visited several facilities to see how they care for their patients...and have been padding my mom’s care with me doing a majority of caregiving by learning as I go and using instruction of professionals as they pop by. I ask A LOT of questions. It’s definitely stressful and emotionally taxing, but worth every second of my sleepless nights and stressful days. Family is always the best medicine. She’s blessed to have you and you her. 

My best friend has her mom with Alzheimer’s in a facility so that she can been monitored for fall risk, help with eating, bathing and the comfort of knowing there is always at least one person with her (even if it’s at a nurses station down the hall) incase it’s the middle of the night and her mom needs assistance. 

• Members

Dear Tiffany,

I would encourage you to visit this website: Aging Care. There is a lot of good information and support there.

Also there should be a local Alzheimers Chapter in each community.

https://www.alz.org/

Thinking of you and your family. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

My mother has Alzheimer's disease. We faced a lot of difficulties in taking care of her. Her condition was getting weak day by day. In the beginning, I used to care for her. As memory loss was a villain, it was difficult for her to manage everything on her own. Aging made things worse. Finally, it was difficult for me to take care of her alone. She couldn't recognize any of us. She used to leave the house without anyone noticing. Then we thought that there should be someone to take care of her all the time. Finally, we had to appoint a nurse from a home health care services in Toronto. She took great care of my grandmother and was very responsible and professional. It' s often better if you appoint any caregiver since they need full-time assistance.

Archived