Grief Support Marketplace

Check Our New Products In The Marketplace

Take Grieving.com on the Go!

Buy on Apple and Google Play
New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×
Babbitt

Trauma cleaning

Babbitt

Apologies for the grim nature of this post.

My brother shot and killed himself the night before last and the trauma/bio-hazard cleaning company quoted $15,000. He did not have homeowners insurance and my family can't afford that cost. My 83 year-old father wants to do it himself but can't deal with it right now. I don't want him or anyone in the family to have to deal with it at all if I can help it.

I'm out of state until tomorrow, haven't seen the aftermath, and it's too horrible to even discuss with my family right now. I'm trying to relieve them of this burden and wonder if there are more affordable or even volunteer services out there. I do understand that there are precautions and regulations to follow which of course make this type of cleaning more costly, but 15K is out of our reach. The location is about 15-20 miles outside of the Portland, Maine area.

Can anyone provide info or point me in the right direction? I just don't know what to do.

reader

Dear Babbit,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm very sorry for your loss.

No family should have to do this after such a traumatic and devastating loss.

I don't know if the police service or local Better Business Bureau or calling the town office - they could offer some suggestions of reputable companies.

Maybe trusted friends or other family members could do this research in your area.

I'm so sorry, I know its an extremely difficult time.

Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Nicole-my grief journey

Dear Babbitt,

I sent you a message of how I handled my brothers death and biohazard . Prayers for you and your family. 

Nicole