Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

PTSD Treatments

Sadie43

• Members

I have been seeing a therapist for the past month, who believes that I suffer from PTSD related to my sister's murder. She is recommending EMDR treatment, Has anyone had any experience with such a treatment. I'm just beginning to research it, and want to know other's experiences with this type of treatment.

• Members

Sadie43,

I am a drug counselor during my regular day job. I have several clients who have suffered severe trauma and gone through EMDR. I've heard good things about it. 

ModKonnie

• Members
Nicole-my grief journey

I have ptsd from my brothers death and have an emdr session scheduled this week. I have done an emdr session in the past and it did help and so I know I need another with this current grief and ptsd I am experiencing. I’m the one who found my sibling last November. Although I’m scared to to the emdr session because it requires me to go through everything that happened and I feel terrified to do so...I know that I have to, if I‘m comitted to helping myself move in the right direction. My understanding is that it will help to rewire my brain and it’s reaction to the trauma. To help myself after the session, I am making sure it’s on a day that I can come home and rest afterward. I’m making sure I have someone to check in with over the phone that evening (just to hear another persons voice and not feel alone) and that I have food in my fridge and no errands to run afterward because it will be draining. But again, a good thing to do to help myself recover. Some people feel a weight lifted afterward and others feel exhausted, but then relief in the coming weeks. I will do it more than once if I need to and want to wish you well in your journey with it. We should ‘t suffer alone and feel trapped. I am doing my best to manage my symptoms and they are overwhelming. I feel like everyday is a fight to survive and so I’m faithful that emdr is going to be part of the solution of coping, healing and finding a small amount of peace. I hope in sharing my thoughts and experience that others won’t feel alone. PTSD can be all encompassing, but there is help out there if we can find the strength to utilize it. Sending healing energy to you and wishes for a productive session. 

Best,

Nicole

• Members
Ashleys Mom
I have been seeing a therapist for the past month, who believes that I suffer from PTSD related to my sister's murder. She is recommending EMDR treatment, Has anyone had any experience with such a treatment. I'm just beginning to research it, and want to know other's experiences with this type of treatment.

I have ptsd as well and my episodes are getting worse so my dr is doing a referral for my. Let me know if any we can do different to help. My daughter was killed in a bad car wreck n it tore her body up n I can’t that out my head it has really made a mess of me.But to loose your child in that way It’s horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

• Members

I'm sorry to hear that. For both Ashely mom and trama. I'm going thru a ruff time and it's possible I may have it. I have avoided going to get help but not sure

Archived