Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Can't cope after losing my dog, Piper

Sassy

• Members
Roby I miss you

I’m sorry for everybody’s pet that had passed away. I do know what everyone is going through and it helps me to know that I’m not the only one trying to cope with my sweet sweet Roby’s departs. I know little by little it will get better. For the past few days I’ve been sleeping so I wouldn’t suffer his death. The sadness is overwhelming. It’s too hard to accept it. I hear myself calling his name, and it kills me to know that he’s not coming.

• Members
Roby I miss you

My sweet doggie Roby.

I’ve met you when you were only 3 months old.

I was scared to care for an animal.

I was afraid that I wouldn’t know how to be your mommy.

But you loved me anyways.

Your unconditional love,

showed me I was doing a good job as your mommy 

Years passed.

you played, ran, jumped and gave me too much love. 

But all that has ended when you passed away.

My sweet sweet doggie,

I love you so much

My sweet sweet doggie

I miss you oh so much.

I wish I can hold you one more time.

I wish that I can hug you one more time.

I wish I can call your name and you’ll come running to me.

My heart will never be the same.

There’s a piece missing in my life,

And it’s you, my unconditional friend.

My only hope is to see you

In the after life. 

I love you Roby 

I love you my sweet sweet doggie.

• Members

@Mack2018

Thinking of you today. I hope you are finding some comfort in your happy memories with Mack. 

I just read your post about washing Mack's blanket. You are right - you don't have to do it just yet. Hold onto his smell as long as you need to. I've been sleeping with Piper's blanket every night. It's covered in her fur and her smell and brings me a little comfort when I bury my face in her blanket and can still smell her sweet doggie smell. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Sassy said:

I hope that one day I will be strong enough to help others through this process. It's a horrible and painful process but I do think that we come out stronger in the end. Maybe that's so that we can help others through the same process. 

I find that's true of everything in life that we go through, we learn through it, we develop compassion for others by it.  God who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:4

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Roby I miss you said:

Hi, I’m new here. I signed on because we had to euthanize our 17 year old doggie. He had cancer for more then 3 years. The vet said he was suffering and that We were wrong to keep him alive so long. He was our baby before we had kids and he was our world. Neither one of us could do it and so we keeped him alive for so many years. Finally my husband took him to the vet and she said his organs Have being failing. It’s really hard to understand that he is gone. I cry so much, that my kids are telling my husband that they don’t want to see me so sad. But I can’t help it. 

I am so sorry.  I lost a 19 year old cat to cancer, his last month was horrible, but he was misdiagnosed at first so I didn't know he wouldn't get better.  Putting him to sleep was the kindest thing, it's very hard for us to lose them.  17 years is a long time for a dog, you must have been very close.  It's hard for kids to see us sad but it's also part of life...they can learn that we are sad now but with resilience we survive even the hardest things, they learn that it is okay to show our emotions, that it is okay to grieve.  

You have found a safe place to be with people who understand.  This video goes along with the poem:

• Members
Roby I miss you
1 hour ago, KayC said:

I am so sorry.  I lost a 19 year old cat to cancer, his last month was horrible, but he was misdiagnosed at first so I didn't know he wouldn't get better.  Putting him to sleep was the kindest thing, it's very hard for us to lose them.  17 years is a long time for a dog, you must have been very close.  It's hard for kids to see us sad but it's also part of life...they can learn that we are sad now but with resilience we survive even the hardest things, they learn that it is okay to show our emotions, that it is okay to grieve.  

You have found a safe place to be with people who understand.  This video goes along with the poem:

I’m sorry for your lost KayC. Thank you. I hope someday I can help someone from what I’m going through. It’s getting too hard to cope. I feel I’m dying inside. I go outside and look at the stars and talk as if he can hear me. Thank you..

• Members

@Sassy

I was thinking of you today as well. :-) I'm feeling much better today. I just miss my boy. I sleep with Mack's blanket too...we're pathetic! :-D

How are you coming along? Have you gone back to your apartment?

• Members
14 hours ago, Roby I miss you said:

My sweet doggie Roby.

I’ve met you when you were only 3 months old.

I was scared to care for an animal.

I was afraid that I wouldn’t know how to be your mommy.

But you loved me anyways.

Your unconditional love,

showed me I was doing a good job as your mommy 

Years passed.

you played, ran, jumped and gave me too much love. 

But all that has ended when you passed away.

My sweet sweet doggie,

I love you so much

My sweet sweet doggie

I miss you oh so much.

I wish I can hold you one more time.

I wish that I can hug you one more time.

I wish I can call your name and you’ll come running to me.

My heart will never be the same.

There’s a piece missing in my life,

And it’s you, my unconditional friend.

My only hope is to see you

In the after life. 

I love you Roby 

I love you my sweet sweet doggie.

@Roby I miss you

Hi...I hope you're doing better today. You will see your Roby again one day. It's okay to say his name and call to him. Sometimes we need to do this in order to heal. Go out and look at the stars and tell him you love and miss him. 

• Members

Hi @Roby I miss you, pictures were so tough for me too at first! Mack is right, take comfort in that he is no longer suffering. My cat was 15, his health was not perfect but he got into something that took him suddenly. :( We all would love one more day, one more kiss. They are so special. 

• Members

@Mack2018

I'm doing okay today. I'm desperately missing Piper today, but I'm doing okay. I went for three walks today. I'm trying to small things to give some sort of structure to my day. 

Im going to try to go back to my apartment tomorrow. Although it will be difficult, I think it will be a better environment for me that staying at my aunt's house. Unfortunately my aunt's own issues are affecting my moods and my recovery. 

I went to the pet store again today. I'm not sure why I keep going there, if it helps or makes things worse. I browse and look at things that I would have bought for Piper. The lady working there asked me if I needed help finding anything. I had to be honest with her and tell her that I recently lost my dog and while I was really at the pet store. The good news is that I didn't have a breakdown talking to her. She and I talked for a while. She told me about her dogs and the ones she's lost over the years.  She then suggested that I go play with the for kittens there, which I did. They were so cute and playful. I'm not considering adopting a kitten. I have a 20 year cat who would not approve. It was just fun to play with the kittens. The lady at the pet store also showed me some hamsters and let me hold one. So cute and little. I'm sorry my long post about the pet store. When you said that it's pathetic that we sleep with Mack's and Piper's blankets, it reminded me how pathetic I am spending my days at a pet store. I am starting to realize that it's almost funny that I do that. 

Has Mack been visiting you lately? I hope you still see him in your dreams. 

I am sharing a few photos of Piper and my old lady cat, Gracie. They were good friends. They used to snuggle and cuddle all the time. 

Wishing you happy memories of Mack. 

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

• Members

@Sassy

I love the photos! Piper & Gracie look at ease with each other. It’s amazing how long some cats live. I’m not a cat person but that doesn’t mean I dislike them. My brother has 2 cats, Shelby & Shiloh. 

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you going to the pet store...it’s not pathetic! You wouldn’t be drawn to it if it was harmful. It’s part of your journey. There’s nothing more healing than holding baby animals! Also...you made a friend! You were able to talk about Piper without breaking down, that’s huge. In turn, this lady shared her stories with you. Everyone we meet comes to us for a reason...as a lesson or a gift. I can tell that you’ve grown stronger over the last few days. Just being able to chat with you, & others in the group helps me grow stronger every day.

I think returning to your apartment will help you a lot. It might set you back for a few days but, being in your own space with what is familiar will help you heal. 

Mack didn’t visit me last night but that’s okay. If he never comes again I’m okay, the 2 times he has are forever in my heart.

• Members
Roby I miss you
6 hours ago, Sassy said:

@Mack2018

I'm doing okay today. I'm desperately missing Piper today, but I'm doing okay. I went for three walks today. I'm trying to small things to give some sort of structure to my day. 

Im going to try to go back to my apartment tomorrow. Although it will be difficult, I think it will be a better environment for me that staying at my aunt's house. Unfortunately my aunt's own issues are affecting my moods and my recovery. 

I went to the pet store again today. I'm not sure why I keep going there, if it helps or makes things worse. I browse and look at things that I would have bought for Piper. The lady working there asked me if I needed help finding anything. I had to be honest with her and tell her that I recently lost my dog and while I was really at the pet store. The good news is that I didn't have a breakdown talking to her. She and I talked for a while. She told me about her dogs and the ones she's lost over the years.  She then suggested that I go play with the for kittens there, which I did. They were so cute and playful. I'm not considering adopting a kitten. I have a 20 year cat who would not approve. It was just fun to play with the kittens. The lady at the pet store also showed me some hamsters and let me hold one. So cute and little. I'm sorry my long post about the pet store. When you said that it's pathetic that we sleep with Mack's and Piper's blankets, it reminded me how pathetic I am spending my days at a pet store. I am starting to realize that it's almost funny that I do that. 

I am sharing a few photos of Piper and my old lady cat, Gracie. They were good friends. They used to snuggle and cuddle all the time. 

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

You are not pathetic. What we are going trough, is not something that we can help feeling. You loved and still love your beautiful Piper and and the void that we feel is just too overwhelming. I think you are strong to have gone out and socialize with people. I believe that when I play or pet other pets that are not dogs, has helped a little. I have a 6 month old Rabbit (Pepe) and having him is helping me cope a little more. How old was Piper? She was a beautiful girl!! I too, started socializing with people, it helps me a lot to distract me from my Roby. Gracie is beautiful too. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Roby I miss you said:

I go outside and look at the stars and talk as if he can hear me.

I think we all do that.  I talk to my husband and he's been gone 12 1/2 years.  I'm glad no one has hauled me off yet.

It's hard getting used to someone we love being gone, and dogs are so lovable, the relationship we have with them so close, it's one of the hardest losses we can go through.  And it takes time, we can't hurry or rush time, so we feel we have no control over this and we're right.  We can only flow with it.  Painstakingly hard.  

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Sassy said:

When you said that it's pathetic that we sleep with Mack's and Piper's blankets, it reminded me how pathetic I am spending my days at a pet store

It's not pathetic, it may SEEM that way to you both that your life has come to this, but it makes sense to me, anything that brings us comfort in our sorrow!!!

• Members

Piper and Gracie pictures are so cute. My first 2 cats were terrified of dogs so I love how these two got along. So sweet. 

• Members
Roby I miss you
15 hours ago, Sassy said:

@Mack2018

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

You are not pathetic. What we are going trough, is not something that we can help feeling. You loved and still love your beautiful Piper and and the void that we feel is just too overwhelming. I think you are strong to have gone out and socialize with people. I believe that when I play or pet other pets that are not dogs, has helped a little. I have a 6 month old Rabbit (Pepe) and having him is helping me cope a little more. How old was Piper? She was a beautiful girl!! I too, started socializing with people, it helps me a lot to distract me from my Roby. Gracie is beautiful too. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures.

• Members

@AJWCat

Thank you for saying that the pictures of Piper and Gracie are cute. They had a beautiful friendship. They are both so friendly and affectionate so it was natural that they became friends eventually. Gracie keeps meowing and looking for Piper. She also keeps sleeping on Piper's blanket. She misses her as much as I do. 

• Members

Well I made the transition back to my apartment yesterday. I haven't been able to stay there since I lost Piper. Last night was the first night I slept in my own bed that I used to share with Piper. It was certainly sad being back at the apartment, but did provide me with some comfort to be back in the same space that I shared with Piper. She made it a home for me. 

I desperately miss her and all that she brought to my life. The days are getting a little bit easier but I still break down and cry often. The crying isn't as intense as it was in the beginning, but there are still lots of tears. 

She was such a special dog. Truly a gem of a dog. Such a special gift to have had her in my life for 8 years. I'm so lucky that she chose me to be her mom. She could have made anybody happy with her beautiful and happy personality, but I am so fortunate that I got to call her mine. 

• Moderators

Sassy,

Ahh, I have felt the same way about all of the pets I have had, that I was lucky they were mine and came to live with me.  I hope you find comfort being in your home and that you feel her presence with you.

• Members

Forgot to mention I loved your post about the pet store. Glad you are home. I know it's tough but it is your home so as you said, some comfort too. 

Archived