Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Interesting article about grieving a pet

ModKonnie

• Members

Dear Modkonnie,

This was an amazing article. I lost Gia on Jan 10, 2011. I am not ready now but I will be in the future. I thought about possibly 6 months to a year, depending on how my husband and I feel. This was truly a horrible, sudden death for us and we will take it one day at a time. This was one of our children. We only have furry ones.

Today is a bad day for me, I cried for most of it. Luckily, I had my 2 other dogs here. I don't know what I would do without them. They and my husband are my hugs.

A new little Shih Tzu will come our way soon. I have her name picked out. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Modkonnie.

giasmommy

Many people treat their pets as family members. When pets die, pet owners can suffer tremendously. Here is an interesting article about grieving for pets. Grieving the Loss of a Pet.

• Members

Dear Modkonnie,

This was an amazing article. I lost Gia on Jan 10, 2011. I am not ready now but I will be in the future. I thought about possibly 6 months to a year, depending on how my husband and I feel. This was truly a horrible, sudden death for us and we will take it one day at a time. This was one of our children. We only have furry ones.

Today is a bad day for me, I cried for most of it. Luckily, I had my 2 other dogs here. I don't know what I would do without them. They and my husband are my hugs.

A new little Shih Tzu will come our way soon. I have her name picked out. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Modkonnie.

giasmommy

Giasmommy,

I would have replied earlier, but I was down with the flu. I am sorry you are having a tough time, but I am glad you have the support of your other furbabies and your hubby. Is there a meaning behind "rolleyes?" I'd love to hear it.

ModKonnie

• Members

I just put my baby Widget to sleep on Wednesday (3/2); she would have been 10 on March 30. She is a beautiful Silver Tabby American Bobtail who I got along with her brother, at the age of 14 weeks old. She was diagnosed with Advanced heart disease the beginning of January, I had taken her to the vet about her teeth and he detected an irregular heartbeat and sent me to a cardiologist. She has been treating her with medications since then, and tried everything possible to increase Widget's longevity but it just wasn't meant to be. Widget developed congestive heart failure due to the right side heart enlargement; none of the meds would keep the fluids from building up even though we kept draining them. I had already made an appointment for Friday with her regular vet to talk about euthanasia, when she stopped eating on Monday. I re-made the appointment for Wednesday, the first day he was in , since I did not know any of the other vets in his practice, and kept her comfortable as possible for two days.....she seemed to understand, and knew when I took her out that day, where we were going. Her brother, Gizmo, even kissed her goodbye. I'd been telling him for several days how sick she was and she was going away and not coming back....he understood it seems....now he is still looking for her, sitting in "her" spots in the house....sniffing "her" blankets and pillows. I had her cremated on Thursday so I could bring her home myself. I'm not sure the box of ashes will help, since kitties' ashes don't really smell. I really don't know if and when I should start washing the blankets/pillows, etc. that still have her scent on them; I'm sure I shouldn't do them all at once, I'm sure that would be devastating to him, but how long should I wait, or should I? Is smelling her scent not good for him, does he think she's still around? He is VERY intelligent, so I do tell him that she's up in heaven playing with the dog and the birdies, and not coming home, but not sure just how much he really understands of that.

The article is most helpful, btw, to me; I've left it out to see if my husband will read it, he was very attached to Widget and is taking this very hard too.

Any ideas how I can help Gizmo, if any?

thanks,

cdw

• Members

CDW

I am so sorry about the loss of Widget. She sounds beautiful. I have a bobtail cat. His name is Bob, and we also have his sister, who has half a tail. Her name is Mia. When either is sick, they both know it.

I am not really sure how to help Gizmo, but I will look around and ask for you. I'm sure he knows something is terribly wrong and Widget is missing. He's probably waiting for her.

Do you have any pics of Widget and Gizmo? I'd love to see them. They sound gorgeous. I will get back to you as soon as I find out something.

ModKonnie

• Members

CDW,

According to pet experts, animals grieve, too, just like we do. Gizmo needs time to grieve, and then you can wash Widgets' things. So give him a little bit of time before removing her smell.

ModKonnie

• Members

Thanks for sharing the link to the article.

You are very welcome. Would you like to share a loss you've recently experienced? We'd love to listen.

ModKonnie

Archived