Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Mother is dying

Junebug13

• Members

She has been really sick for 3 years now and has almost passed away a few times (cardiac arrest). She has miraculously pulled through each time but has been on dialysis and in and out of the hospital and  keeps declining. Now she has a rare kidney complication called calciphylaxis. It's a terrible disease. Painful and she is in a hospital two hours away to get the daily treatments. She is not responding to treatment and is dying slowly. She is only in her fifties. 

I am an only child and literally have no other family other than my husband and my children. I really don't have any close friends either because of moves and just  the way my life has turned out  which only exacerbates the stress I'm in. I don't think my husband understands what this is like for me especially since weve had so many close calls and she has pulled through so many times. 

I have a great job and acquaintances at work but no one really knows what I'm going through. 

I am just going through motions and don't know how to cope and need someone to relate to and some  support. 

• Members

Dear Junebug13,

I am very sorry to hear about your mom's condition. I know caregiving is a rollercoaster. And there are so many raw emotions. Please know you are not alone. We are all here to listen and support you in anyway we can.

I find this website very helpful. Its called AgingCare. I think you will find a lot of good information and support from others going through the same challenges of caring for a parent.

I don't know if you want to consider talking to a counsellor or joining a support group in the community. It never hurts to reach out and get as much support as possible.

Thinking of you. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived