Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of a toxic/addicted family member

lauralaura123

• Members
lauralaura123

Hi all,

I found out the other day that my grandfather’s son from his second marriage has passed. He was 6 months younger than me (25 when he died), so it hit me especially hard.

He asked us for financial help a while back in caring for his dad (my grandpa) and we said that we would gladly buy him food, medical supplies, pay for a nurse etc, but would not give him cash, since he would most probably not spend it on my grandfather (he had a history of this, taking a two week trip for fun, for example). Anyway, he cursed us out and we stopped talking. Through social networks, I found out he passed away almost two years ago. He had been drinking a lot after his dad got sick, got in with some bad people, and was found on his bed with a skull fracture.

I am glad we did not enable him by giving him money, but I am still so sad that his life, his talent, was wasted in such a way.

Have any of you had such a family member that you had to stop talking to who then passed? I guess I just wanted to vent and maybe tell others who have gone through this that they are not alone.

Thank you for listening.

• Members

Dear Laura,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather's son.

I wish life could be different sometimes.  We all handle grief so differently. Whether people are super close or distant before a passing, its still terribly hard to process the finality of anyone's life.

I hope you are okay. Please continue to posts and let us know how are doing. Take care.

Archived