Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I can't believe she left me so quickly...

ADRIAN1

• Members

I lost my little Yorkie and I can't believe it happened, her name was Mia and she was not even a year old. She was the most amazing dog I could have ever asked for and she filled an emptiness I didn't even know I had. She was poisoned by a seed of the tree outside our house. The branch of the tree hung into the kitchen courtyard. I was never a irresponsible owner, I took her everywhere with me, she didn't even go outside without me, it was just that day and I sometimes think if I had acknowledged her then she would probably still be here now. My son found her under a cabinet barely breathing with vomite surrounding her. When I came home that day I didn't really acknowledge her when walking in because I was in such a rush to get to the hospital for my dad. When I got home from the hospital there was nobody greeting me at the door, so I thought Mia was sleeping. I lay down on my bed and asked my son to bring her to me. He brought her to me all limp and said what is worng with her. I jumped up ran with her to the car with no wallet, phone or shoes.  I don't think I had ever driven so fast in my life when driving to the vet. I ran in with her and he immediately put her onto an oxygen machine, injecting her with medicine and pumped out her stomach. I don't think I have ever cried so much while watching this. She got better during the night and when I went to fetch her in the morning, she was worse. Blood poured out of her mouth and she was in a state of shock . I sat with her for hours praying she would be alright. She died that afternoon. I didn't really believe she was gone until I saw her body. I looked around the room and I just knew she was there.

I don't know know what to do. She just brought so much joy into our family and really crept into our hearts. Not a day goes by when I don't think about her. Please give me advice in how to handle this.

Thank you for reading

• Members

How sad to lose her after such a short time!  I lost my Gracie, an Australian shepherd, shortly after her 6th birthday.  I knew that day would one day come but not so soon.  My daughter had a Yorkie whom she dearly loved.  They did everything together.  Yorkies are very special little dogs.

• Moderators

Adrian, I am so sorry, what a horrible thing to happen!  I've never heard of a tree poisoning a little dog like that, I have tons of trees on my place.  What kind of tree is it?  I think I'd cut it down so nothing like that could happen again.

You did all that you could and I'm sure she knew how much you love her.  I personally believe we will be with them again and that this is not the end.  As forhim7 says, one day at a time.  There's no cure for our heartbreak and pain but to go through it, it will lessen eventually and we learn to live with the missing them that is left.

• Members

IMG_1781.JPGThank You forhim7 and KayC, I have already cut down that tree. I was at the vet the other day and he said he doesn't think the seed poisoned her, he said she probably aspirated it into her lung. I am still constantly crying and can't believe she's gone. She was the most amazing dog I could have ever asked for❤️

• Moderators

Ooh, my heart breaks for you all the more as I look at this picture, she's so adorable, I can see how she can have your heart.

• Members
ScootersMommy

I'm so sorry about your sweet and adorable little Mia. Pets burrow into our hearts so quickly. It's always been funny to me how it takes awhile to fall in love with a person, but the first time we see a furbaby, we can instantly fall in love and commit our hearts to them. I think it's because they are the epitome of unconditional love. They love us in a way that no human ever could. Mia knew and felt your love. Take comfort in that, and know that each day that passes gets a tiny bit easier. I'm less than a week in to losing my sweet kitty, Scooter, who was with me for 18 years. The pain is so excruciating, but each day that I wake up, I tell myself that I was able to survive the day before. I'm not hysterical like I was after the first couple of days, and I'm able to look at photos of him now without completely losing it. So, I'm trying to celebrate those tiny little victories I'm able to achieve each day. Finding these support groups and sharing my feelings about him have helped tremendously, so just know that we are all here to help each other get through this grief.

Take care and *hugs* to you.

• Members

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I just experienced something so very similar.  My adorable Milo was only 4.5 months old.  My husband found him unresponsive in his crate when he stopped home from work on afternoon.  He rushed him to the vet and they immediately gave him fluids and oxygen and he perked up a little.  But his liver enzymes were off the charts so they sent us to the ER.  He was admitted and they tried to save his life for 2 days...giving him a plasma transfusion and medicine.  It didn't work and our poor little guy passed away 2 days ago.  I'm devastated.  I can't stop crying.  I feel so empty.  And I have MASSIVE guilt.  It's thought that he ingested something with xylitol.  It's contained in sugar free gum, mints, some nut butters, etc.  We still can't find wrappers or anything.  He may have ingested something from outside.  But in the end he couldn't clot his blood and was bleeding from everywhere and it was just awful.  A complete tragedy.  He had become my best friend and was with me all of the time.  I work from home and he was by my side every single day.  I'm having a hard time accepting this.  I just want my little guy back.  I don't know what else to tell you other than I understand.  I hope it's gotten a little easier for you as time has passed.  If you're anything like me you probably feel like you were robbed of your time with your little one.  I feel like my Milo's life was cut way too short and I feel responsible.  I too was rushing that morning and keep thinking that maybe had I paid attention more I would have noticed he was way more than just tired - he was lethargic and needed medical care.  Again - I don't know what to say other than I'm sorry and my heart goes out to you. 

Archived