Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sudden Loss of Wife

seeker900r

• Members

I lost my wife suddenly on Thursday night 27th October 2016, after a short stay in hospital. She was 48 years old.This has smashed me to pieces and I feel like ive been  hit by a freight train.

I have a good network of friends and work colleagues who have been helping me, but when they are gone and I'm on my own its very difficult. Every where I turn there are memories staring me in the face which isn't a bad thing I know, but its so hard.

• Members

Sorry for your loss. I hope you find some comfort here. Vent your feelings, we will share in your pain. Life as you knew it has been turned upside down and somehow we are supposed to pick up the pieces of our shattered existence and start over without our loved one.

When your support system starts to fade away, keep reaching out to them. I hope they don't fail you. I had to resort to a support group meeting that is only held once a month at a local hospice office. I've found some solace there with people who understand what I'm going through.

Prayers of comfort to you-----

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss, we know how hard it is, we've been through it.  My husband was barely 51 when he died and it was such a shock.  It's hard to find meaning or purpose in life afterwards and can take a lot of time and effort to process the grief and make some sort of life for yourself.  It's never the same again, but I try to find something good in each day, no matter how small it might be, it's helped me with appreciating what is instead of only lamenting what isn't (which I do too).  It helps to express yourself, I saw a grief counselor, journaled, joined a grief forum, did art therapy, you name it, I did it to work my way through the grief.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's been eleven years and I've somehow lived...I look forward to being with him again someday.

• Members

Hi Seeker900r---How are you coping? I hope your friends are still being there for you. I hope you are finding some moments of solace with having a job to go to, to fill up some of the empty hours and to be able to focus on something else.

When my husband passed, I managed to find the strength and courage to take care of his end of life wishes. I was a mess in between. I had to start the legalities of his will and make some insurance policy changes, etc. All changes I never thought I would be doing so soon. After a few weeks, friends and the few family members there are started dwindling on being there. That's when i joined a grief support group that meets once a month at a local hospice office. Second meeting is in a few days. For me, it's somewhere to go and be with others who understand what I'm going through.

Prayers and peaceful thoughts to you.

Archived