Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Could This be a Sign?

Jeff In Denver

• Members
Jeff In Denver

For the last two Octobers, my girlfriend and I went back east to Philadelphia and NYC.  We had a great time.  I did it again last week.  My father lives on the PA/NJ border and I went back.

I walked around Philly by myself, stayed in the same hotel, etc.  It was very sad.  The whole trip was sad.

But here's the thing:  I had an aisle seat on the plane, and the middle seat was empty.  As far as I could see this was a full flight.  Flying back, AGAIN the middle seat was empty!  A bunch of rows up I saw another empty middle seat, but it could have been filled with a short person. 

Empty seats on flights are rare.  I think it's quite a coincidence that I had an empty on on both flights.  Or maybe it wasn't a coincidence...

• Members

Jeff

It may have been a coincidence or it might have been a sign. How it makes you feel is important. I cant imagine how hard that trip must have been for you. Going through all the memories of past trips. I remember the first road trip I took after my husband died, I cried silent tears for most of the trip (and I was driving). It was tough because we always took our trips together in the truck. The next trip I was supposed to take, I couldn't even get the courage up to go by myself. So I did take a long my girlfriend to keep me company. The thought of doing it by myself on the longer trip, had me a nervous wreck of what if this happens or that happens. My confidence is very shaken by losing my identity of who I am without him. When I had my friend with me, I was completely confident in the drive.

• Members
claribassist13

Jeff, 

I think signs are what we make of them. If having the seat open next to you there and back makes you feel Mila's presence, then it's a sign. 
Personally, I think signs can come in many shapes and forms. It could be a very subtle reminder or a life-altering observation. If the empty seat brought you even the slightest bit of peace or remembrance, then I would consider it a sign. Again, perception is reality. 

• Members

I agree. Whatever thoughts first popped into your mind when you saw that first empty seat and it was Mila---take it as such. We get our comfort in many forms.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, claribassist13 said:

Jeff, 

I think signs are what we make of them. If having the seat open next to you there and back makes you feel Mila's presence, then it's a sign. 
Personally, I think signs can come in many shapes and forms. It could be a very subtle reminder or a life-altering observation. If the empty seat brought you even the slightest bit of peace or remembrance, then I would consider it a sign. Again, perception is reality. 

I agree!

• Members

I try to cherish those little things that seem to be signs. They make me feel lucky to have had such a strong connection with my fiancé, as I am sure you shared with your girlfriend. 

• Members
Jeff In Denver

Thanks.  I have read, though, that signs usually contain "bridges."  In other words, something to tie them to something else to make them more believable. In this case, if I had also reached into the seat pocket for the airline's magazine and it had been opened to an article on Philadelphia (where I was headed) or Peru (where she was from and where we had gone), it would have made more sense.

I am still going to tend believe that this was a sign...

• Members
claribassist13

I (personally) think it's a bit silly to limit the definition of a sign.
There is so much that is unknown about what happens after death. You could read all the literature in the world and never have a complete picture. 

Please consider whatever gives you comfort. I think that is just as important.

Also, I hope that you have been okay, Jeff. Well, as okay as anyone in our situation can be. 

• Members
Jeff In Denver

Claribassist13, good point.  You are so right, as usual.  I hope you're doing as well as you can be, also.  Thank you so much.

• Members

Jeff, I was never sure about signs either. A friend sent me a booklet on grief through her church. These were brand new books and as I was flipping through it out fell a blue Hershey Kiss wrapper. Now I thought that was strange but just something that happened. Then I was working on cleaning, going through some old stuff in the basement and found a blue Dove candy wrapper. We were both addicted to chocolate and my favorite color is blue. So I take comfort that he is trying to let me know that he is still around, watching over me.

• Moderators

MEW,

I love that!  Thanks for sharing that with us.  I think a sign is something that takes place that is meaningful to us and we know when it happens.  It's common for us to doubt what we can't explain, but it's good to accept it as a sign and be comforted and encouraged by it.  I imagine they're trying really hard to get through to us!

• Members
claribassist13
On 10/30/2016 at 0:37 PM, Jeff In Denver said:

Claribassist13, good point.  You are so right, as usual.  I hope you're doing as well as you can be, also.  Thank you so much.

Like you posted in your other topic, I've recently taken a break from posting/looking on here. 
I've had some other stuff pop up and have tried to deal with things I've been pushing off for months now. 

I'm glad to see you posting again!

Archived