Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my husband to cancer

Brenfromva

• Members

I lost my husband on September 27 after a 10 month fight with signet ring cell carcinoma of the appendix.  Bill went in for emergency surgery on December 15, 2015 for what we thought was appendicitis but turned out to be a rare and deadly form of cancer.  After having a saddle pulmonary embolism that almost killed him, he finally was healed enough to start chemo.  We were hopeful; his cancer marker numbers were coming down.  Then in July, he started vomiting, and it was discovered after several hospital visits, he had a blockage in his intestine.  He ended up with a G tube and was only allowed liquids and was given TPN then sodium chloride because he started having severe dehydration and landed back at the hospital a few more times.  We were given hope that a surgeon agreed to do abdominal debulking surgery, a grueling 9 plus hours long surgery.  She opened him up, closed him up and said there was nothing she could do to help his quality of life.  I brought him home a week later, and one week after that he passed away at home.  

I took care of him, gave him shots, cleaned his pic lines, attached his fluids, and during all this, we fell deeper in love, and now he's gone.  Up until the surgery, we were still talking about celebrating our birthdays, Christmas, what we were going to do when we retire.  Now it's all gone just like that.  The house is so quiet, I miss him so much, I hate night time, I don't have him to ask questions, or eat dinner with or just lay in bed holding hands.  I'm so lost without him.

• Members

Hi Brenfromva . So sorry to hear your story. I lost my Bill on September 18th. He had a heart attack. Very sudden no warning and I think I am still in shock. Like you I am grieving not just for him but for the life we have lost. We too had so many plans. Facing everything alone is so daunting. But this is now my life and everyday I ask myself what would Bill want me to do. There are some very supportive people on this site and I hope you find some comfort here. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Members

Brenfromva-----So sorry----words can be so inadequate but the feelings are behind them. I lost my husband a little over 2 months now to a sudden heart attack. I'm still feeling lost without him.  Every second is hard to get thru. We were together for 25 years and I keep thinking how those years went by so quickly and now time crawls.

I hope you have family and friends as a support system. Someone you can call anytime, have someone to stay with you.

There's a lot of people here for you---we are all here for each other. Prayers and hugs to you.

• Moderators

Brenfromva,

I'm sorry there wasn't something could e done.  You hit on the one thing that we all feel here...the missing them, just the simple things, laying in bed together, holding hands, cuddling, I miss that so much.

Are you in grief counseling?

Archived