Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Heartbroken; Loss of infant to Trisomy 13

Romey'sMom

• Members

We lost our baby boy Romey at 2 3/4 months to trisomy 13 and pulmonary atresia a heart defect. He was a 7 lb full term baby. I had a normal pregnancy with no complications. Immediately after birth he was not breathing due to a heart valve being blocked and no blood flowing to lungs. He was transferred to Mayo hospital in Rochester and was in the NICU for 72 days. He had numerous complications and procedures in hopes to prolong his life. We thought at the time we wanted him to live and be given that chance, we wanted a miracle. He came home for a week and died in his sleep. I called 911 and tried to do CPR but it was too late. I went on with my life right back to work and avoided the pain and grief for months 6 months, then it hit me and I've been in such pain and very depressed to the point of quitting work and needing a break to process and work through the grief. Some days I don't know how I'm going to make it through. I'm so sad it seems all our dreams were shattered and we are heartbroken. I know life goes on and believe Romey is in heaven and happy and free of any pain and suffering. But it has torn us apart my partner and I are devistated. We are dealing with the grief completely different which is fine. He doesn't really want to discuss it and I'm a complete mess right now. I'm not sure where to go from here, I feel completely lost, a shell of who I once was. I also have a 7 year old boy who is a great, smart kid. I feel bad to have to be dealing with all of this and try to explain to him why I cry a lot and am not the happy mom I used to be. I know it takes time and I will be happy again. But for now seems unbearable at times. Do any other parents feel like there whole world has fallen apart dealing with the grief of losing a infant or child? We love him so much, if love could have kept him alive he would have lived a long life. 

• Members

Romey'sMom,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your precious Romey. I would suggest strongly that you consider some professional advice in addition to the help and encouragement you will receive from others here. Most people who have lost a child (any age child) now gather together in the forum "Loss of an Adult Child." You are more than welcome to post in that forum, and you will receive a warm welcome. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

Archived