Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Link to Interesting Perspective on Dealing with Grief

Ellie

• Members

This link was just sent to me by a caring friend. I found it describes what I'm experiencing, eight weeks after the devastating loss of my beloved Drew. I'm sharing it here in the hope it might help others. 

http://funnyshare.com/asked-advice-deal-grief-old-man-gave-incredible-reply/?utm_source=nym&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=oldmanadvicenym&utm_rcreplace_3430=3812

• Members

Thanks Ellie.

Yes things like this seem to help. It's been the one thing I've broken my silence for, to ask people who have lost their husband or wife what I should expect from the future because I'm in the ocean right now clinging to the wreckage and I don't see survival now or anytime in the future just wreckage and sinking. The waves are coming in fast right now. If I even cared about the future I'd want the waves to slow a little.

Thanks for the link and as always, so sorry for your loss.

• Members

So sorry for your pain too, Steven.  I truly understand. 

At eight weeks, I'm finding I cry a bit less often, once or twice a day, sometimes getting through a whole day at a time. The pain is still there, and the waves keep coming, but I think maybe I'm handling it better. I talk to Drew all the time, and that seems to help me cope.  It doesn't feel better day to day, but when I look at where I was four weeks ago, or six weeks ago, I can see that I'm functioning  more steadily and stably. 

Baby steps....it's all we can do, and all anyone can expect. 

• Members
7 minutes ago, Ellie said:

So sorry for your pain too, Steven.  I truly understand. 

At eight weeks, I'm finding I cry a bit less often, once or twice a day, sometimes getting through a whole day at a time. The pain is still there, and the waves keep coming, but I think maybe I'm handling it better. I talk to Drew all the time, and that seems to help me cope.  It doesn't feel better day to day, but when I look at where I was four weeks ago, or six weeks ago, I can see that I'm functioning  more steadily and stably. 

Baby steps....it's all we can do, and all anyone can expect. 

Thanks, there's some more hope for me right there. It's the only question I have about the future right now, is there any hope for me to think about.

I'm glad your making some progress.

• Members

Thinking about the future is way too daunting and overwhelming, at least for me, and right now. I just think about one day at a time. Sometimes I break it down into hours...bite sized pieces of time I can manage. 

• Members
13 hours ago, Ellie said:

This link was just sent to me by a caring friend. I found it describes what I'm experiencing, eight weeks after the devastating loss of my beloved Drew. I'm sharing it here in the hope it might help others. 

http://funnyshare.com/asked-advice-deal-grief-old-man-gave-incredible-reply/?utm_source=nym&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=oldmanadvicenym&utm_rcreplace_3430=3812

Thank you for this Ellie. This describes what we are going through perfectly & beautifully. Thank you

• Members

This is a great description, I've had anxiety and depression off and on for much of my life due to family trauma.  I often describe it to myself and friends as waves that I have to ride, followed by periods of calm.

Archived