Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Had to put down my 19 year old cat

Samantha_vpf

• Members

This morning I had to put my cat to sleep, and that was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Sassy had been struggling for the past couple months. We knew she had arthritis when she was about 15, then she started losing weight and the vet said she had Hyperthyroid. She always got so stressed going to the vet, so we decided at that point to let her live her life in peace. We knew that she would tell us when it was time. Last night we got home and noticed she was struggling to move. I picked her up and laid her on my lap, she was there about half an hour when I felt a warm sensation on my legs. I knew she was losing control of her bladder, it didn't upset me because she peed on me, it upset me because I knew it was now time. My mother and I called the vet around the corner this morning as soon as they opened. We wanted to keep her around for us, we wanted to surround her with love as she passed at home, but we knew that was selfish of us and her quality of life was so deminished that it wasn't fair for her. She used to have a lot of fight in her, she didn't fight us at all this morning. We wrapped her in a towel and left for the vet, trying to make her as comfortable as possible for her last moments. The vet and the staff at the hospital were extremely compassionate and helpful in the process. The vet took her to put the catheter in, when she came back she said Sassy wasn't even really aware of what was going on. That was a little comforting as we knew what was about to come. I held her in my arms, and my mom held her head as the vet administer the overdose of anesthetic. The image that is stuck in my head is the emptiness in her eyes once she was gone. I haven't been able to stop crying since. When we came home the other animals knew...the cat that came in after her was almost crying laying where she used to lay all the time. I miss her so much, although my house is filled with animals, it just feels so empty. I hate this feeling! I just want her back! 

• Members

I am so sorry to hear of your furbaby,sending prayers of comfort your way. My Kawala was the same way,she was 20,I had to do the same with her,she let me know though except I was selfish for about a week,I didn't want to lose her for she was my moms cat who had passed away in 2000,that was the hardest thing I think I have ever done,next month,the 10th will be two years,not a day goes by I don't think of her,missing her so much,always cherish your memories with your baby,one day when the timing is right,you will reunite at Rainbow Bridge.

Petloss.com 10:00 pm EST candlelight ceremony for furbabies that have gone on to Rainbow Bridge,also have " wolf pack " counsellors available to speak to during healing process. You can go on website and post picture of furbaby or do write up,join in ceremony,it's nice,comforting to me.Deepest sympathy.

Archived