Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

loss of father

dave77

• Members

Hi. I lost my dad 3 days ago. Hehad alzeihmers last few yrs but he had a lot of stomach pain and was out of breath last few wks. I cared for him everyday and went to his house twice a day and now hes gone i dont know wot to do. My dad was the world to me and it hurts bad. I found him slumped on bed wednesdy morn so at least he died at home which he always wanted so thats comforting. I just miss his face and smile laff so much..hope in time i can carry on with life.

• Members

Hi there, I'm so sorry for your loss.  My mom has Alzheimers.  There are several members on this site who have had/have loved one's with dementia.  It is devastating.  Your loss is very new as well.  I think it's normal to be fixated on the loved one.  Your emotions will run the course of anger, sadness, helplessness, guilt and anxiety.  This is normal.  I believe that you did everything possible to care for your dad.  Being a carer isn't easy work.  It may take some time for you to re-establish your identity now that you are not a carer. I encourage you to seek an in person support group or counseling if you feel it would help.  In the meantime, we are here for you!

Archived