Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My cat is very sick, need support

purrball

• Members

My cat Trixie is 11 years old. In the last 2 months, maybe a little bit more, I saw a rapid decline in her.  She always had upper respiratory problems, but they just got significantly worse.  My vet tried to help with that proscribing antihistamine and antibiotics, and then steroids.  We have been trying a stronger version, plus eye drops.  In the last week and a half, her weight which was also a concern dropped from 7-6-5 and now is about 4.8.   I am terrified and scared.  Our vet said she could have cancer or autoimmune.  We did an Xray last week and it showed a lump in her stomach and also that liquid was leaking from her stomach and intestine into her body.  The vet said she was dehydrated so now we have to give her fluids every day even though she still drinks water.  My vet thinks she looks bad and the progression of whatever is causing her all these problems is too severe and her days are short.  Of course, she can't predict.  I am taking my baby to get an ultrasound today.  I am very nervous and scared and I do not know what if anything the ultrasound would show, if it is much worse, if they can do something to help with at least the water leakage.  I don't want her to suffer, but I know she is.  Too what extent I do not know.  I know if she loses more weight, stops eating, stops drinking, then I will have to euthanize her.  I don't know how I will be able to cope with that.  I am not ready to let her go, but I don't want her to suffer.  

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  So your vet doesn't know what exactly is causing the problem?  4.8 lbs is very low indeed.  I hope they can find something to help her.  I understand your feelings, I nearly lost my cat (age 20) a couple of weeks ago, I really thought  she was a goner, but she made a comeback.  I hope your Trixie pulls through, they really have a hold on our hearts!  (((hugs)))  Keep us posted...

Archived