Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my Dad Suddenly at 20

FleurCat

• Members

I found my dad passed away in his chair in our living room on Monday and the funeral is tomorrow. I'm 20 and he was 46. He wasn't in the best health, but not sick and we still don't know the cause. It still doesn't feel real and I keep having flashbacks to finding him, looking for a pulse, etc. and it's all a really upsetting process. I can't go in the living room, I blocked it off completely to avoid it and I can't sleep or eat. I almost threw up several times at the wake earlier. I don't know how to cope and I feel really horrible about all of it. I know it's probably not the best but I'm just blocking everything out to the point where I barely remember anything this week, and I'm really spacey and forgetful in general now. I'm not sure how to get through the funeral, having to acknowledge everything.

• Members

Hi there, so sorry for your loss at such a young age.  Death is often traumatic for the loved one's who witness it.  Do you have any family members you can count on to support you through grief.  If no there are quite a few young grievers on these forums.  Speaking with others can help you feel less alone.  Some would say it's best to accept the grieving process and do you best to take care of yourself through it.  Try to surround yourself with supportive friends and family and allow yourself time to grieve.  It's ok to stay busy and return to normal aspects of life as you are able but I do think it's important to allow yourself to go through the grief process and we are here to help you!

• Members

I have lots of friends that have come together to support me as well as family, but mainly I'm really scared to grieve. I have OCD and I've had a very tough few years financially and mentally and this came at a time when things were finally getting better. I'm very scared I'll spiral down again. I know it has to happen but I'm just so tired already.

• Members

Grief will take you down, there are many of us who have pre-existing depression or anxiety and other mental health issues while grieving. It great that you have a supportive network of friends.  That will go a long way in recovering.  If you have specific concerns about the impact on your mental health, have you spoken to your doctor?  They may be able to adjust your medication, if you take it, or help you decide when and if you want to switch protocols to help you avoid a spiral.  But I also want you to know that grief will often feel like a downward spiral, and it impacts everyone's functioning.  It is normal to feel out of control during grief.  It is most important to maintain proactive lifestyle habits like meeting with friends, giving yourself time to think...but not too much, and seeking counseling if need be.  Have you considered counseling?

Archived