Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

First our dog, now our cat

PetMama

• Members

We lost our dog to bone cancer 3 months ago. Today, our senior cat went in for a dental cleaning and a tumor was discovered in her mouth. The vet is sending it in for biopsy just in case it's benign or an infection, but she said it looks like a differentiated mass. If it is not benign, the prognosis is very poor. This is difficult to cope with.

• Moderators

I am very sorry for your loss, it's pretty hard to take.  I lost my 19 year old cat to cancer a few years ago so I have an inkling of what you may be feeling.  I hope it turns out not to be so.

• Members

Many thanks for your reply, KayC. I am very sorry you lost your cat.

Very good news for our kitty, it turned out to be inflammatory tissue due to her dental problems. She may have thyroid problems causing her weight loss, but that is easily treatable. She is in very good condition for 18 as far as blood work and general health, so we are hoping for a few more years with her.

• Moderators

I am so glad to hear that!

Wednesday my 20 year old Kitty was on her deathbed.  She wouldn't eat, laid completely flat, didn't want touched, no spark to her at all.  I feared she wouldn't make it through the night.  Her breathing was normal, her stools were normal, I thought it was just old age and her time to go. :(  But she rallied and improved slightly Thursday, better Friday and today, still not eating as much as usual but otherwise doing well.   I'm hopeful she'll be around for a while...sure hoping!  I lost my other cat 2 1/2 months ago so when I read your post it really hit home, I was going through something similar.

Archived