Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

11 Years Ago Father's Day June 19

KayC

• Moderators

I lost the love of my life, my soul mate and best friend.  I've belonged to another grief support group since that time, and it has been my lifesaver, but I just learned about this group.

When I first lost George, I was in shock, I didn't see how I could live 40 years or so without him.  Friends disappeared like the plague.  I found myself all alone, and then I lost my job.  That first year I found it hard to pray, it felt like I was abandoned.  I've found that all of this is common in grief.

I think it was around three years when I found that what I had to live with at that time is what I have to live with, period.  I find that grief is an ongoing journey.  The missing him never ends, but the journey evolves.  The intense pain we have in the beginning becomes something more manageable, but it still hits, especially around holidays or when something big occurs (loss of job, medical issues, etc.).  Our go to person is gone.  

I've gotten a dog, I do volunteer work, I try to strike a balance of being with others vs being alone.  Still...

It does help to have a group of people that understand and relate to your loss.  This is something we live with every day.

• Members
Jeff In Denver

So sad to hear about your loss.  It sounds to me as though you have done everything right.  You have a good handle on it.  It's sad how friends disappear, as well as our experiencing the jarring emptiness and loneliness.   No one sees this part of life until and unless they go through it.  

• Members
claribassist13

It's nice to hear that all of this oppressing grief and loss eventually doesn't hurt as much. I know that it will always hurt, but it's encouraging to hear that there is a way to keep living after such a horrific loss. 

Thanks for sharing, KayC!

• Moderators

Thank you for your replies.  Mitch and I belong to another forum as well, and we both desire to help others that are starting their grief journey, it's a way of giving back to those who were there for us when we most needed it.  We CARE about people.  We remember reeling from grief when it struck us, this has to be one of the hardest things anyone can go through, we all need all the help we can get with it!

• Members
claribassist13
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Thank you for your replies.  Mitch and I belong to another forum as well, and we both desire to help others that are starting their grief journey, it's a way of giving back to those who were there for us when we most needed it.  We CARE about people.  We remember reeling from grief when it struck us, this has to be one of the hardest things anyone can go through, we all need all the help we can get with it!

A-freaking-men!

• Moderators

Thank you!  I sure didn't feel like it when he died!  I felt broken.  

Archived