Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My baby is gone

Leo

• Members

I had to put my baby down today after I discovered she had cancer in her kidneys and was suffering quite a bit. How does one get over this large emptiness that one darling cat can leave? She was my last kiss goodnight every night and my first headbut good morning every single day for the last four years. She was the one I turned to when my life went bad, when I cried, when I felt like I had nothing else to live for, and nothing else to hope for. She helped me through my depression, she was the only reason I kept on going because I loved her so much I couldn't bear leaving her alone in this world. She was 'home'. And now I'm better and she's gone.

I knew this would come one day, I knew she wasn't going to be around forever but nothing could prepare me for her leaving at just 4 years old. I wasn't ready to let her go and my darling wasn't either. Now the house is empty, her toys are idle and no longer will I feel her paws nudge me in the middle of the night. How can the only being I ever met that never tried to hurt anyone in her life have such an unexpected death? I know she can't suffer any more and no one can ever hurt my baby now but how do I fill the void that she left in me?

I truly feel lost without her.

• Members

Leo,

I am very sorry about the loss of your precious cat. It hurts tremendously now, but in time the sharp edges of the pain will dull. It took me awhile to get over the loss of my precious first fur kid Emmy. She died at 15 of cancer. It was terrible. After awhile, not convinced I could ever love another as much as her, we adopted two fur kids from the shelter. After 14 years, I still have one of them; the other died a few years ago. I love them as much as dear Emmy. 

I'm not saying rush out and get another cat--I'm just saying that when the right time comes along--and it may take a long while--I hope you consider adopting another needy baby into your life. 

For now, just cry and grieve. It's okay to do so. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Dear Modkonnie,

thank you so much for your lovely words. The loss of Frida has started to sink in although her absence is almost tangible in my house. It is incredible what these little souls can do to us, and currently I'm just hanging on waiting for another day to pass, and trying to keep myself from calling her name.

I do expect to adopt another quite soon, it was in my thoughts from the very first moment that I lost my baby. As a volunteer at a cat shelter there are in fact two lovely little rascal souls who have just arrived and in fact are not even old enough to be put up for adoption, so I have started considering giving them a home when they will be ready to leave. Since I have some time though, I want to take it, because  although I know bringing them in will do all three of us a lot of good, I just have a 'gut feeling' that I don't want to rush it just yet.

Although it doesn't make things better, it is very comforting knowing that there are others out there who go through the same pain. Thank you for that! 

Leo

• Moderators

Leo,

I am so sorry you lost your cat, I also lost one to cancer years ago, it's really tough to make that decision, but we do what is best for them because we love them so much and want to spare them suffering.  I lost my other cat less than seven weeks ago, I'm still grieving her.  You're in my thoughts as you begin to adjust.

Archived