Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog doesn't have much time.

JMel324

• Members

My girl Lucy (****-zu/poodle mix, 10.5 years old) was diagnosed with terminal cancer yesterday. It's spread throughout her body and there's nothing that can be done. My wife and I have her on steroids in hopes that it can at least make her comfortable and give us some more time with her. 

Just looking for some support or words of wisdom from someone who has been down this road. Would like to hear how you handled/coped with it. We are completely devestated as this is our first pet ever and had her since she was 3 months old. We haven't stopped crying since we found out. We also have another dog (6 year old German Shepherd) who we are worried about once Lucy is gone. Has anyone dealt with this? We don't want her being upset and become sick herself. Thank you. 

• Members

Dear JMel324,

I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. Heartbreaking news to get for your beloved girl. My thoughts are with you and your wife, and sweet Lucy who has known no other family but you for her 10 wonderful years. What your feeling is normal and real, and so very hard.

I don't have much wisdom to offer at this point, only solidarity, as we are about to lose our 15 y.o. Wheaten Terrier, Kelly. Kelly hasn't been eating and is increasingly a shadow of her old self. We can sporadically get her pain meds in her for her arthritis, but....well, suddenly, it's a matter of days. It is so hard to absorb and seems surreal.

As for your other doggy, I have not personally gone through that situation but have known those who have. I think it is natural for the dog to also mourn for a time the loss of their companion. Are Lucy and your German Shepard very close?

My heart is hurting with yours. I wish you peace and as much good time with Lucy as you can have. We are trying to cherish every moment and remember every second we have with our girl.

-Kira

• Members

Thanks for the kind words Kira, unfortunately, we had to put our sweet girl down last night. She had deteriorated so badly throughout the day and it was so hard to watch. Wouldn't walk, was crying when we picked her up, her whole stomach was swollen, and I knew it was over when I grilled her a piece of chicken and she refused to eat it. It's the hardest thing we ever had to do, we had such an attachment and bond with her. 

We didn't sleep last night and have been balling all day.  I literally want to put a for sale sign on my house as there are so many painful memories everywhere we look. I've never felt this way in my 36 years of existence, it's absolutely horrible. 

As for my shepherd, it's yet to be seen. She seems somewhat ok but not sure how long that will last. They were very close. Thanks again for the kind words. 

John 

• Members

JMel324, 

I am so sorry you lost Lucy. Your heartbreak and reaction are so understandable  Losing a pet is unlike any pain and so many don't understand that. It is has affected me more than losing some humans in my life...these sweet doggy souls give us everything so unconditionally. 

Sending you & your wife healing energy and thoughts.

• Members

It seems lately, so many people I know , including myself, have had to part with beloved pets.  I never diminish the loss like some folks do by say"oh, an animal?" "You're talking about an animal?", they will remark.  Well, that so-called-animal was very bit a part of my day, as a child, spouse or any other loved one is day to day.  The love and devotion given by that pet was immeasurable and unconditional too. The grieving is often subdued, the pain and sadness  suppressed so as not to bring attention to those who just don't get it. 

My thoughts go out to all of you who have dealt with losses of their precious companions. The "grieving meter" I believe is gauged by the amount of love you had for your pet. In time your tears will dry and memories will replace the sadness you feel. 

• Members

My heart is aching for you right now as my own heart is aching and torn apart as I am typing this. My 8 year old Vizsla, Fiddler, was euthanized this morning. About a month ago after finding a shadow on his lungs following up with an ultrasound, it was determined that cancerous masses were found in  his spleen, pancreas, throughout his lungs and the lumbar of his spine. He was given a few days to a few weeks. He was on prednisone the entire time and although it helped some, the last 2 days were very difficult for him with regard to his breathing. We could not allow him to suffer the agonizing gasping of air any longer and this morning i said goodbye to my 'soul'dog.' :( I am hoping for peace one day and also wish you peace and the wonderful memories you have.  We also have his half brother...6 year old Levi and our vet was awesome and allowed us to bring him with us. I needed Levi to know that his brother would not be coming home this time.  They had licks and kisses before the sedation and finally the shot. I was able to hold him in my arms and I truly felt his soul leave his body. He is at peace now. Me...I hope to find it one day but my priority is with Levi and getting him through this transition.  Peace to you always.  A friend.

• Moderators

JMel, I am so sorry you lost your precious girl.  It is so hard when we lose someone close to us.  And to all of the others here as well for their losses, I know how tough it is. :(

Archived