Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My 7 Year old Rottweiler got put down yesterday

TylerJoeWatts

• Members
TylerJoeWatts

We had to make the heart wrenching decision to put my lovely 7 year old Rottweiler down the yesterday.

He was a labrador/Rottweiler cross who was perfect. The most handsome and loving dog I've ever known. He had problems with his back legs for over 6 weeks and after visiting the vets about 15+ times they came to the conclusion that it was actually a tumour in his spinal chord. After further investigation, we found out that he actually had lymphoma and he no longer had use of his back legs. 

There was the option of chemotherapy but the vet didn't seem hopeful that any improvement would be made with the use of his back legs as chemo can cause more damage to the spinal chord than it already had.

I just feel so sad and guilty. I would've sooner killed myself than see that dog go, but now I'm in absolute bits.

I miss my puppy boy !!!!!

• Members
Rocky and Ginger's Mom

I'm so sorry on your loss of your dog. It's extremely painful losing our pets :(

• Members

Deeply saddened by the loss of your precious boy.  Ten days ago I had to make that same decision for my sweet Gracie.  She had a disorder where her immune system was attacking her own red blood cells.  Two weeks ago we were running, playing.  Three days later after two blood transfusions she was gone.  My heart is broken.  My thoughts are with you during this grief process.

• Members

I am so sorry for the loss of your your loving babies, i had to make the same decision yesterday for my sweet boy Rocco..he was 15 miniature schnauzer and the sweetest boy in the world..he was very energetic  even for his age everyone thought he was a lot younger than he was all of a sudden his breathing got very bad I took him to the pet hospital they found fluid in his Lungs I couldn't figure out where it was coming from nothing was working he had to be in an oxygen  Cage he couldn't breathe on his own they did test but couldn't find anything for two days he suffered not being able to breathe he couldn't be out of the oxygen cage because he couldn't breathe on his own so I had to make a decision either put him down or they could be doing more tests and he would keep on suffering i could not let that happen so I made the decision to put him down I know it was the right decision but I am so filled with grief because my sweet baby he was with me when my mother died just a few months ago and I have to be moving soon and he was supposed to come with me and now I have to go alone without him and I don't want to I just want to be with him I don't know how to deal with this grief i love him more than anytjing in the world  my life is turned upside down and I don't know what to do I can't stand this feeling all I do is cry and I don't care about anything.. does anyone have any suggestions how to deal with this because I feel I don't want to go on without him 

• Members
ScootersMommy

I'm so sorry for all of your losses. Our furbabies burrow deep into our hearts really quickly.

Last Friday I had to say goodbye to my sweet kitty baby, Scooter, who was with me for 18 years. He too, had been in good health for most of his life. The last couple of years, he dealt with arthritis in his hips and back legs, but otherwise seemed very happy and content. About a month ago, he came down with an upper respiratory infection. After several vet visits and all the holistic remedies I could find, he just wasn't getting any better. He had good days and bad. He stopped eating and drinking, so my mom and I were syringe feeding him and giving him SQ fluids. On Friday morning, I could tell he was nearing the end. His eyes had no life left in them, he seemed disoriented and weak. I wrapped him in a blanket and swung on the porch swing, then came inside and I rocked him. I talked to him about all of our good times and that if he needed to leave that it was ok. He watched me the whole time and kept his little claws around my fingers as if holding my hand. Later that day, we fed him as usual, and right afterwards, he started panting and posturing. I knew what was happening, so I clutched him close to my heart and just screamed hysterically. He passed in my arms...heartwrenching. 

I'm feeling the same feelings you are. Not wanting to go on without them. Constant pain and sorrow. Feelings of guilt, resentment and anger... I think it's all just part of the grief process. I congratulate myself on the little victories each day, like when I walk past a photo of him and don't break down. Or, I go a little longer without crying. It's a moment by moment battle, but, I believe that we will all heal with time. There's an unbreakable bond that we share with our babies. They will always be in our hearts. We must take comfort in the fact that we gave them loving homes with warm beds. That they always had full bellies and laps to lay in. There are many babies out there that aren't so lucky to have a human love them so much that they grieve so heavily when they are gone. Our grief is indicative of the amount of love we have for them, and that is a beautiful thing.

Prayers are with you to find peace and comfort. *hugs* to you...

Archived