Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How do i support my grieving girlfriend?

thatch02

• Members

Hi there my girlfriend and i have been together 4 months now and have had a great relationship so far. 2 weeks ago her brother died in a tragic accident, she lost another brother to suicide 12 years ago. I was there at the wake and for her as best i could i kept telling her im here anytime for her. She was hugging me and talking to me the days leading up to the funeral. But now she hardly answers my texts, doesnt want me calling to see her and doesnt answer the phone. She did text me the day after the funeral and said she didn't feel i gave her the proper support she needed whereas her friends talked and cried with her giving her total support. Her friends know her for years and her family and her brother that died. I had'nt met her parents to the wake so i can understand why she can talk to them instead of me. I don't want to crowd her so i have been texting once in the morning and once at night but she sometimes does'nt answer. Im at the stage now where im thinking maybe i should leave her alone for a few days then text her again? I fear by doing this she might think i don't care and we could drift apart. She did say once that she knows where i am if she needs me. I don't want to make this about me as she is the one grieving but i would love to be there to support her. We are both 36 years old....any advice would be greatly appreicated!

• Members

Thatch02,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your girlfriend's brothers. I am no expert, but perhaps you do need to simply let her know you will always be there for her and then give her some space. She may be incapable of thinking clearly right now and is probably struggling with even the smallest of tasks. Or, simply keep sending positive, supportive texts and let it go when she doesn't answer you. It's only been two weeks, so she is probably just trying to get through the shock, anxiety or horror of it all. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

Archived