Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Trying to cope with the loss of my 20 year old son

StyleJ

• Members

In my beginning stages of grief. His name is Jeff-Anthony and we were as close as father and son could get. We worked together, went to the gym together, did so much together. People say "I know you guys were close and I'm so sorry"... People can say that but they really don't know how close we were. It hurts to even type these words on this forum. I lost a piece of me that day that's all there is to say. He was going fast in his car and lost control and hit a tree. I don't even need to tell you.... He was a good kid, no drinking problems, no drugs and kind to others.

I have a younger son Nick who is 17 and I really need to be there the rest of his life so I need to be strong for him.  I don't know what I am seeking other than to connect with others that have had such losses. I am about to be married to a wonderful woman and her 2 step kids, he was supposed to be in the wedding also which makes it harder. Some days I'm good and others, well it's like I just can't go on. Or I find myself thinking what is it going to be like after 10 years have past, I mean I miss him so much already... I know I must carry on and take it day by day but it sure is the hardest thing I ever had to do.

P.S.

I can't even look at pictures of him right now, I hope that gets better.

• Members

Sorry I tried posting to the adult child thread and guess I did not get it right...

• Members
Mermaid Tears

StyleJ....your post came through just fine...our site was 'rebuilt' and now is not the easiest to navigate...I am so sorry to hear that your SONshine boy has passed...we lost our beautiful, beloved Boy....in 2012...he was 42....it doesn't matter if your child died in the womb...lived 2 hours...2 days...or 16 years..or 50 years....they are still your child. Your grief journey will be as unique as your child is unique. This will be one of the hardest things to ever go through. One does not get over this...you simply have to go through it. There are no short cuts or magic pills or wise words. But words are all we have on this site to reach out to you. We always tell the 'new' parents that find themselves on this grief journey to 'self care'...this kind of grief is very dark...heavy...deep. Please..be very kind and gentle with yourself and the family. Drink lots of fluids and don't try to over think this at this time. This is not a time to be stoic...this is a time to honor your son and go into your deep mourning. This is a time for you and yours to grieve. You will find many active parents on this site that will reach out to you....I was touched by their care and compassion. I found out I was not alone...many walked in the same shoes I was in....and I wasn't going crazy...I was just in deep mourning. Many parents have been on this site for many years...I call them our 'spirit guides'...and they are farther along the grief path than us...but they wave to us...and let us know we can survive. Please tell us more about your boy. Don't worry about what you can't do now....just take it all one day at a time. Peace to you.

• Members
InHeavensKeeping

StyleJ so sorry to hear of the loss of your Son. Susan is so right I'm glad you found us.  If you look on the page befor this your see right at the top "loss of an adult child" there are over 57, 0000 veiws on that thread. Just click on it and then put in page 2296

thats the current page al the grieving parents who are on the grieving journey can be found.  So many with gentle, kind and loving hearts who can help sometimes just by listening. 

God Bless 'see you there' InHeavensKeeping x

Archived