Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lack of sex drive after death of father

Karen30

• Members

Hi everyone,

Not sure how to begin but I'll try to keep it short. I was very close to my dad, saw him every day and lived at home. He died suddenly of cancer, he was diagnosed and then died within a few days. It was horrific. From when he died I haven't had a sex drive. That was almost 2 years ago. Prior to his death I was extremely sexual.

3 months after my dad passed I started a relationship and until this day I've never felt how I did sexually. There's only what I can describe as a block. When I do make an effort with my partner it can take forever to orgasm and sometimes I even feel numb. I don't feel half of what I used to. I used to have such a high sex drive and think of sex daily. Now I don't think of it even once. Having sex is a chore.

The odd thing is that I dream of sex a lot and in those dreams I have the familiar feelings I used to have every day. And the moment I wake up from the dream the feeling immediately vanishes and I'm me again.

I have suffered from depression and been on medication for a few years or more, but prior to my dads death the tablets didn't affect me sexually at all. I think I have to stop complaining that it's the medication as I have tried 3 other antidepressants and been to my GP.

Someone suggested trying counselling and I probably should but what I'm curious about is whether losing my dad has been the cause of what I'm feeling? If so why? And how is something like that overcome?? I feel so hopeless and low because to go from one extreme to another is very hard!

• Members

I am very sorry about the loss of your father. I am not a professional, so I couldn't say whether your lack of sex drive is related to your grieving. Grieving and stress do strange things to us, that I do know.

Counseling seems like a good idea. I'm sure professionals have dealt with this delicate issue many times. I hope you find help, and perhaps if you get advice that works, you might be willing to share it with us in case others are too embarrassed to talk about this issue but are also dealing with it. 

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

Archived