Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my companion puppy

OliviaLouise

• Members

I am feeling tremendous guilt over the loss of my puppy. He just turned 2 on January 19th, and on Friday February 4th, he was hit by a car. I always let him off his leash because he would return within 5 minutes every time. This time, I ran to him screaming and crying. He wasn't moving, and my roommates drove us to the animal hospital, the whole way I was just worried about getting there in time, I didn't realize he was already gone.

Since then, I haven't been able to cry or even think about it. He was my best friend and the light of my life. The only light on many occasions. I have been dealing with severe atypical depression for 5 years now (I'm 21). Louie was my companion dog, and he was the happiest most well-behaved dog I've ever had. He followed me everywhere around my house and always came with me in the car to run errands. If I wasn't going to a grocery store, I put him in my purse and took him shopping with me. He's the only thing I've ever cared for and I feel a deep sense of guilt when I think about how I was the one who was supposed to keep him safe and I let this happen. I should have had him on a leash. I knew it was dangerous. And now he's gone. I cry very easily, typically. I cry when nobody else does, and I take things very sensitively. However, this time, I haven't cried since it happened. writing this post now isn't even making me tear up. He meant the world to me, and I just don't understand why I'm not crying at all, when I feel like I should be. Am I still in shock? I don't think it's denial, because I can say he's gone and believe it. Has anyone felt like this before? I'm sorry for the rant.

• Members

You are not ranting at all. I am so very sorry for your loss. Some people cry and some people don't. I cry over lots of stuff, but under intense pressure and stress-I don't cry. Don't worry, you may find yourself crying suddenly soon. Try not to stress over it. 

Try not to feel guilty. You were trying to make him happy. There's no way you could have know. I had a fur baby get hit by a car. I know the pain. I had just let him out of the house. We were actually teasing him that he was going to the vet to get "fixed" when he got back in. Imagine our horror when he didn't come back in and in fact, the neighbor was very rude in telling us he was dead in her yard. I felt horrible for ever. 

We will be with you,

ModKonnie

Archived