Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My girlfriend is terminally ill

SaraJune0903

• Members

I've never done this before... my therapist suggested that I reached out to people that understand what I'm going through. The love of my life has already lived past her life expectancy. She is in unfathomable amounts of pain everyday. She is depressed and dying and I am 1,000 miles away in a treatment center for my eating disorder and self harm addiction. Every time I look at my phone I'm checking to see if she's still alive. I'm so terrified and I think of that day all the time. The day she's going to leave this mortal world forever. I can't stand to think about it but it consumes me.

• Members

If I could say anything to you it would be...

Shes still here.

Try really hard to stay in the now. Shes not gone yet. Try to switch your thinking . There is time enough for grief. It will come when it comes. Living in that future takes everything away from right now. Shes still here. Can you visit her somehow??

My beautiful husband left earth one week ago and I could never have imagined how it would feel.it has broken me. Completely. But you still have your love. Text. Call. Skype her. Write her. Email her. If you can do any of those things. Reach out to whoever you can and send wishes of strength to her. I hope i dont sound preachy..its just that Its so different than you think it might be when theyre gone. Shes still here.Try to turn the fear of her leaving into a positive right now. Shes not gone.....shes still here.....I understand the fear. I do. I had it with my husband sometimes but I learned to block it. It was draining my ability to be in the present where he still was. It was wasting precious time in a fear state about a future that hadnt happened... I hope you can hear my words with the softness that they are meant. Be strong. Be loving. Be present. Its ok....

• Members
mydeepestthoughts

MyJules advice is very appropriate.. Focusing on the here and now, and what you are able to control can alleviate much stress... Attached is a link to a article that speaks about the challenges of having a loved one who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. May it help you to have peace 

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2008330?q=terminally+ill&p=par

Archived