Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my cat, my best friend and I can't take care of my family now

Kittymama

• Members

Almost 10 years ago we brought home our sweet kitty. She turned out to be the most docile, sweet and loving animal I have ever met. My marriage was on the rocks when we got her and her loving attitude literally saved our marriage. She had almost every medical issue under the sun (hyperthyroidism, allergies, asthma, kidney disease...) but her attitude was always sunny and bright. I am a very private person but this cat worked her way into my soul. I would say she was the only thing that gave me consistant joy.

5 days ago she stopped eating and he back legs became wobbly. We went to the vet and he thought maybe she had excess stomach acid and was weak from lack of nutrition, but in my heart I knew it was worse that. Then, yesterday she tried to stand and her legs gave out completely. She couldn't move and couldn't even drink water. We had someone come to our house to put her to sleep. It was a very peaceful way to leave this earth but my heart feels empty.

We have a 1 year old and I am a stay at home mom. I don't know how to care for her while I am experiencing such grief. I cry all day and night. I can't eat. I can't think straight. I find myself resenting my daughter's neediness and her happiness. I need time to mourn, but I don't know how to get it when I have to attend to another's constant needs. I feel like I am having a breakdown and I don't know what to do. My world is so empty and I am lost.

• Members

Things are still so hard. I know it has only been a few days. Part of me doesn't want to stop grieving because it feels like once I do then she will truely be gone. I am afraid to move on without her because she was the one who kept me grounded. I also am having trouble dealing with my pain in the midst of our little one totally relying on me for everything. It's wearing me down.

• Members

Hi Kittymama,

It does sound like our sweet cats had very similar problems at the end. The vet didn't give me an exact diagnosis, but she was almost 20 years old, so there wasn't any hope for her to get better. Tabby has been gone 2 weeks and I still can't believe she's no longer here. Like you, I'm still having a hard time dealing with losing her. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have to care for your baby while feeling this way. As horrible as this is, it's helpful to be able to share our feelings with others who are going through the same loss. So many people don't understand the kind of love people like us have for our pets.

Take care,

Enin

Archived