Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Heartbroken Over Death of 11-Year Old Cat by Coyote

sokerkix

• Members

I am so very sorry to hear about Bucky. He sounds like a wonderful cat and I feel terrible for what happened. I just lost my 18yo cat Max on Sunday who has been with me since 1997 and it is excruciating.

I will tell you that things will get better over time and that you simply need to let your feelings take their course. I have learned from talking to others that you can't simply wish the feelings of sadness, anger, and all of the others away.

The best advice I can give since I'm going through this right now as well is to remember all of the good times spent with Bucky. Remember things that made you laugh at things he did. Know that he was a great cat and companion and that he can never be replaced. He lived a good life with a loving family and that is the best thing any cat could hope for.

I wish you well and will pray for you and your family during this very difficult time. Please take care of yourself and know that there are others here who can relate to how you're feeling.

-Michael

• Members

I lost my sweet kitty, Tigger to a coyote as well a few years ago. Still to this day when I see or hear a coyote I was to find it and get revenge. I never would hurt another animal, but that protective instinct is there.

It complicates the grieving process when we know our loved ones died in pain. I also had thoughts that maybe I should not have allows my kitty outside. Yet, it was his passion and though he would have been more safe inside I believe his soul would have died a little. We only have a short time on this earth, and I am glad my sweet kitty was able to experience the wind and the birds and the trees. I am sure your kitty was so happy just before he passed. He was loved, he was given the world and that was in his heart. I hope you allow yourself to grieve as you must, but know that all you did was love your kitties and that's never wrong.

• Members

One evening In 1996, yes, it has been that long........my beloved 3 year old declawed indoor cat was killed right outside our home. We were in a new house and he managed to push a porch door open. We didn't even know he was out there but heard the horrible struggle , not even realizing it was our cat being torn to pieces. Upon realizing what had just occurred, we were frantic, searching everywhere for days on end in hopes that he might turn up. Reality finally set in but the depression and guilt was overwhelming. There was never any real closure, never any trace of our dear little guy. Guilt is a horrible component with grief and I swear, the whole ordeal took years off my life. One can never be too careful is what I tell people. Awful stuff can happen when you least expect it.

It never truly goes away but the grief you feel now will soften in time.

Archived