Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my best friend today idk how to cope

sjg333

• Members

I don't know how to cope. Today I had to put to sleep my best friend Dougie (cat). I watched him being Born when I was 7, I'm 22 now, for 15 years he was my rock. I've been through all sorts and he always sat with me and comforted me. We've moved house 3 times in his 15 years and each time he adjusted to his new surroundings and always came home (he was outdoors at night). Literally everybody that met him loved him, I've met so many people who weren't cat people and said they hated cats and I was always like 'no you'll love Dougie though' and I was right, he just had the funniest little personality he is amazing!

Yesterday he collapsed twice and refused food (which is very unlike him) so we took him to the emergency vet who kept him overnight to keep him on a drip and test his kidneys as he was dehydrated, today they said he hasn't improved so they would do the same again, and then they told us he was just going to keep suffering, he had kidney disease and it was too acute to treat. I held him and tickled his ears while he was injected and then he was gone. I don't know what to do. I haven't stopped crying all day I want him back so bad. I miss him so much I really don't know how to cope without him

• Members

I am so very sorry. I can see how it physically hurts! My first cat, Emmy, was 15 when she left us. I was miserable. It was horrible when she died of cancer. Just cry if you feel like it. It's okay to cry. I know it sounds so lame, but it will get easier in time. It's just going to take awhile.

Do you have a pic of Dougie?

We will be here with you,

ModKonnie

Archived